AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
bro as far as im concerned PENTIUMS loose their performance but there is no good answer for your question. Either way man a computer most likely wont last you long especially since you said you're new to this. So if you wanna go with a 64-bit. youre making the right choice but dont go above the 3500+ cause then they get too expensive and it wont do you any good to have a 3700+ when you wont even know the difference in most cases.

well, I think you are right also. AMD focus on doing more per clock cycle, and Intel like to just boost clock speeds
the Pentium 3's were more efficient than Pentium 4's. a 1.4 P3 will outperform a 1.4 and even 1.6 P4.

Intel's CPU's has been getting less efficient, and at the same time AMD's have been getting more efficient

Having not been online in quite a while, it's surprising to see this thread has gotten so big! Thanks to all of you who contributed! I really learned a lot (and am still learning)!

Heyyo,

Hmm, it's a sad thing when "partnerships" are supposed to make things better, but in computers, sometimes it means the reverse. Nvidia buying out 3dfx (oh c'mon, our vidcards would be soo much better if 3DFX was still in the game. They made incredible vidcards, they were the top until they got bought out), sapphire going with that cheap ram company... the only time it seems to be good is when they're inventing something completely new. Sony, and IBM, and I can't remember the 3rd company, them and those cell cpu's will totally overthrow the current cpus. They run onna completely different achitexture due to them being like, 1/4th the size of our current x86 cpus. I mean, they plan their default speed on release to be 4GHz. At E3, in the PS3 they had 4 of them running at only 3.7GHz, so that's 1.2GHz they weren't even using, and the UT2k7 ingame cinematics looked incredibly smooth. Same goes for that other game.. I forget the name now..

I think they said they can do up to 10 processes per cycle, x86 cpus can only do 2. So 10x4 is 40 processes per cycle, you could like, freakin' mutli-os-multi-task that setup. I'd cream my pants if my computer were that stong, lol. I dunno folks, they say the PS3 will ship with linux onnit.. if so.. and you can plug your keyboard n' mouse into it.. that's like, a super computer at a new low price. Just get that cedega, and there ya go, play games with rediculous graphics settings and have no framerate loss, literally. :)

I dunno, cedega might not work with the version of linux they're gonna use on the PS3, but I hope they make a compatible version, if so, the prospect of having a super computer would be all the more intruging no? ;)

Btw, they do plan to bring cell processors to us PC users... but to get a standard out n' so, we can be looking at a cell processor in our comps in maybe 2007.. if we're lucky, most likely in 2008. By then, who knows wth amd and intel might have accomplished. Cause it's obvious, x86 architecture is old, an upgrade is needed.. But the wait... oh boy.

a lot of companies promise they'll have technology sooo much better, but the problem is, often they do not deliver. I'm njot saying they shouldn't try, and I don't doubt that cell processing can be really good, but I would wait and see for myself before I jump to conclusions about anything.

and, if they do make the cell processors, I'm sure they can develop a Linux compatible with it. Linux is open source, so literally anyone is allowed to develop one for it. although it sort of depends on Sony to decide if they want it on their PS3's

Computers can be sooooo much better, but companies have to go with technology what is a good mix of Cost of Production and Performance.

Heyyo,

The main prob I have with intel ain't their preformance, but their dirty antics:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121796,00.asp

Yet again, they're investigating Intel, this time in europe, with agressive force. Sure, there's plenty of companies that do this, but c'mon, Intel is the "supposed" leader of cpu's.. why would they need dirty business antics then eh? I think they know they slipped behind AMD in price/preformance quite badly, and I guess this is how they wanna keep the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom