AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, i'm a new user and I'm hoping to get some consent before buying a new comp. I'm looking at piecing a desktop together which i will primarily be using for computer design in Pro-Engineer, decoding/burning dvd's, and half-life 2. The Pro-E software has always run slow in school computers using pentium 4's, and i really want a system that can handle the designs. I'm torn between Intel and AMD, but am definately leaning towards the AMD due to the rated 1600 mhz bus speed to Intel's 800mhz.

so far my specs are::

ABIT socket 939 motherboard
AMD athlon 3500
1 gb of Corsair RAM
ATI radeon x700
160 gb Samsun HD
16x dvd+rw
ATX case
350 watt power suppy

Will games look any good? thx for any help

1) get a 6600 or 6800gt instead of the x700

2) make sure you're getting 2x 512mb sticks (dual channel support) instead of 1x 1gb stick

3) upgrade the powersupply to 450+

Which abit board are you going to buy? Other than that you're good to go.. Are you planning on doing any overclocking?

hmm, the 6600 could still be in the price range. do you think it would help that much?

yes, the RAM will be two 512 sticks

and i'm planning on using Abit's AV8 ATX socket 939 with VIA k8t890 chipset. Nope, i hadn't planned to overclock it yet.

It should work great for your purpose.. I've never had good luck with VIA chipsets, a lot of people here run that board with no problems..

Why PC4000?

I was going to get DDR400 (PC3200) what would go good with the 800 mhz stock front side bus on a 3000+ venice chip? i mean... i'm confused because i thought ddr400 was a good pair with the venice chip. wouldn't i have to overclock the front side bus to match the ram speed?

DDR400 is pretty standard now. the Venice can run memory a lot higher than DDR400, because it has a lot of headroom and overclockability.
DDR400 is good, but DDR500 is better.

all socket 939 CPU's have a 200 x 10 = 2000MHZ HTT (Athlon 64's equivalent to the FSB)
all you need to do is raise the FSB to 250MHZ and lower the multiplier to 8x (since 250 x 8 = 2000), you'd have the same core speed but you can utilize DDR500 memory that way
you could also leave the multiplier alone and have it at 250 x 10 = 2500MHZ. then you'd have a 25% overclock, which can easily be done on Venice core's

also, latencies don't actually make much difference. the latencies are measured in clock cycles. a few clock cycles out of 400000000 per second (in DDR400) is not very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom