AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought i had caught myself before anyone noticed =X

NamelessMC said:
I don't really use Firewire though, USB 2.0 is fine enough for me.

About the bios - What's the difference between a bios supporting it and not supporting it? Just so you know - I'm not overclocking. When I do, it won't be for another few months, after I upgrade the cooling system and get a better AGP videocard.

Is Gigabyte planning on releasing a bios that supports the Venice chips?

The bios wont be able to figure out what kind of chip it is.. The only real difference is that it will default to using a higher vcore voltage..

I'm sure they will release an updated bios.. But i wouldnt be to concerned about it even if they didnt.

Higher voltage? Would I be able to lower it back to 1.3 or 1.5 or whatever it is myself?

I'm pretty sure they'll release a bios anyway, all things considered the box says 939 supported and Venice is a 939 socket chip, so they won't want people calling and wanting refunds, replacements, angry customers.

I noticed it was a stripped down version of the Ultra, but it comes with all the bells and whistles that any motherboard at that price wouldn't come with - Dual Channel support, Nforce 3 chipset, 4gb ram maximum, 4 USB 2.0 slots in the back, great warranty, relatively known brand, and it was only 75 bucks brand new, which leaves budget room for me to go with a 3200 or 3000 instead of a 2800 winchester core.

The winchester wont overclock past 2.68ghz ish.. I couldnt hit 2.7 no matter how hard i tried.. I brought a venice home from work and it ran at 2.9ghz without any major issues.. I ran it first without the bios update and it defaulted to 1.4v (venice default is 1.35). I crank the voltage up to 1.65-1.7 anyway so i wasnt to concerned. I did however apply the patch at a later date and it unlocked some extra features in the bios. Also defaulted it back down to 1.35.. If you can get the venice (im not sure of price differences) i'd recommend it.

Ok thanks for the info. I'm going to get the Venice 3000+ as it looks at the current moment. You just kind of had me twisted with that post about stuff not matching up. Since you upped the voltage I guess I could lower it.

Wouldn't the voltage being at 1.4 instead of 1.35 mean that the motherboard is running the chip faster than its normal stock speed?

Sorry if I seem incredibly stupid, never really looked into what raising the voltage does.

As far as the price difference - It's entirely negligable. 146 for retail box Winchester and 155 or so for Venice retail box.

I try to let people know all the small details... Regardless of how miniscule they are.. Uping the voltage would make it run slightly faster, but not much.. Maybe a couple of mhz

Yeah, Intel has made a lot of mistakes in the past. A friend of mine is lucky because he has one of the first P4 motherboards with DDR.

hey, we should have a separate section here at TF with all the Versus threads:

AMD vs Intel
ATI vs nvidia
Xbox vs Ps2
firefox vs opera vs IE
Mac vs Windows

crap vs. crap, etc

it would need to be heavily moderated

*edit*
NamelessMC:
I would stick with your 9600 until you upgrade next. you will be able to play games for about a year or 2 before it can't pull the fps for some games, and/or a new DirectX comes out which it doesn't support

what you're planning to get is fine for now. get a Venice core 3000+ or 3200+, they're actually quite cheap, and you'll have a powerful CPU which overclocks extremely well if you need it to.

for your next upgrade (in maybe a year) I would suggest just getting a new motherboard and video card, and overclocking the CPU if you need to. even on stock cooling you can overclock it far

as far as RAM goes, Kingmax makes some good but cheap RAM, which also overclocks well.
last time I saw, for under $150 you can get 1GB PC3700, or for a bit over $100 you can get 1GB PC3500
*edit again*
I just checked, and you can get 1GB PC4000 Kingmax for $145 at newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom