AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone seen Intel's 600 series CPU's?
they've made 2 new EE's, one is at 3.73GHZ. I laughed when I saw the benchmarks though, they got outperformed by the previous 3.4 EE's and sometimes by the 3.2 non-EE

i sorta feel sorry for the people who get sucked in and buy the 3.73EE because that would be one damn expensive CPU. and the reason that intel will sell that 3.73EE as well as any other? because they are marketing whores, and people dont pay attention to benchmarks, or they dont care to see them.

Most people don't understand the meaning of benchmarks. Of course, those people are the ones who don't need the benchmarks, or performance... they just need it to work.

Which is what pentium does. ^_^

FadingTheory said:
Most people don't understand the meaning of benchmarks. Of course, those people are the ones who don't need the benchmarks, or performance... they just need it to work.

Which is what pentium does. ^_^

Which is also what an AMD does.

Which is also what a Cyrix does.

Which is also what a SUN chip does.

Need I go on ?

Intel are not the be all and end all of the computer processing industry, just like Microsoft are not the be all and end all of Operating Systems.

Alot of it is to do with marketing and the fact people feel safer investing their hard earned cash in the reputable brands.

I`m sure if companies such as AMD, Cyrix, SUN and Linux started marketing themseleves more and had their products put into PC bundles like Intel and MS do, then the regular user PC marekt would become less concentrated.

my friend built a new system about a week ago:
3200+ 939
asus kv8 or something?
512mb pc3200
9800pro

he brought it over to my place, powers it up.. turns on nice n fast, as ud expect and we started playin games and was all good...
then he decides to run a norton scan.. coz he just did a liveupdate and is really worried about gettin viruses etc... and so he runs it and i was thinkin hey its a 3200+ so come play CS at the same time, he clicks on CS and without exaggeration, 30 seconds later CS opens up and when he tried to join my game it took about 30seconds again... when it usually takes me n him about 2 or 3 seconds..
I don't know if this is normal, but i was under the impression that a 3200+ would be able to handle a virus scan and CS at the same time with relative ease, maybe it was his ram... dont get me wrong im not tryin to imply amd's suck lol, i think i've done enough of that. But yeah, I know they don't have HT like mine but I really thought it would handle 2 programs at the same time?

You're right. They have hyper transport.. its better. The reason is because he only had 512mb of ram, dual channel doesnt work unless he has 2 chips (i guess he could've had 2x256). I don't really see anyone able to play much of anything when you have a program that is made to pretty much max your cpu/hd throughput/ram by scanning files for virii. I can play swg @ 1600x1200x32bpp, listen to music, watch multiple movies, have a couple firefox sessions up, and my news reader going at the same time with no lag.

However i can't play when sisoft sandra 2005 is running hd benchmarks.

I personally dont have a predisposition to one brand or another. I am a gamer, so AMD was the logical choice for my new comp (c my sig). Also, it prolly isnt wise to run an online game while running a virus scan...ur just opening up ur i-net connection and paving the way for more attacks.

Not an online game, it was CS 1.5.. over Gigabit LAN ..... and I can run a virus scan + play CS at the same time, because I tried... loL.. maybe it was his ram, but 512 should still kinda be up there..

oh yeah and i can run Nfsu:2 and Halo at the same time and have them instantly switch with Alt+Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom