AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i like both processor's but what i think it depends for what you are going to do with them like let say for gaming or office use er what ever but thats my opinoin but oh well lol

Hey i see here we are talking about proccessors. AMD v. Pentium. And first off, thanks for all the great info.
But what im wondering is, we have AMD and Pentium and i sort of know the difference but what about all the different types:
Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium, Centrino, Prescotts, Amd Athlon, AMD Sempron.
Im completely lost, what is what? what is the fastest? IS there a chart somewhere that shows for example a 1.7ghz AMD Athlon = 2.2ghz Pentium = x.xghz sempron. etc.
Im specifically looking for a laptop at the moment, something fairly cheap and future proof. Any help would be great and if im in the wrong thread please point me in the right direction. Tons of thanks in advance!!!

Thats a difficult question. Heres a general idea:
Semprons = Low - Mid Speed Celerons
Athlon XP = High Speed Celerons - Mid P4's (2.8, 3.0, 3.2 (Socket 478))
Athlon 64 Socket 754 = Mid P4's (2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 (LGA 775)) The Athlon is slightly better than Pentium in games though.
Athlon 64 Socket 939 = High Speed P4's (3.0, 3.2, 3.4) The Athlon is slightly better in this category.

Athlon 64 FX53, FX55 = 3.4, 3.46GHZ P4 Extreme Editions, the Athlon 64 FX 55 beats the 3.46Ghz P4 EE so that means, the Athlon 64 FX 55 is the best.

Basically all those fancy names (Celeron, Pentium, Centrino, Prescott, Athlon XP/64/FX, Sempron etc etc etc) are their own sort of ranking.

AMD Desktop Processors (ranked lowest grade to highest)= AMD Athlon XP, AMD Sempron, AMD Althon 64, AMD Athlon 64 FX

AMD Laptop Processors (ranked lowest to highest)= Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M, Mobile AMD Sempron, AMD Athlon 64 for Notebooks, Mobile AMD Athlon 64

I don't know much about the XP, XP-M, Sempron, or Mobile Sempron.

Intel Desktop Processors (ranked lowest grade to highest)=Celeron, CeleronD, Pentium 4, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition with Hyper-Threading

Intel Laptop Processors (ranked lowest grade to highest)= Mobile Celeron, Celeron M, Pentium 4-M, Moblie Pentium 4, Mobile Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading, Pentium M.

I'm not an Intel guy, sorry.

To get 100% in depth with this, go to:

Intel - http://www.intel.com/products/processor/

AMD - http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

could you also give me a bit more of an idea, lets say i had an "AMD Athlon64 3000 1.8ghz" what would this be equal to? A 3ghz Pentium? The problem is, im looking for a laptop and i was looking at a 2.6celeron and my friend had a look, sent me back a different one and said a celeron pentium m 1.5 is faster!!
It is all kinda confusing and im trying to figure out a way in my head, lets say for arguements sake i have a 3ghz AMD athlon XP (whether you can get them or not) what would that be equal to?
so for example...

3ghzAMD athlon XP = 2.7ghzAMD Sempron = 2.2ghzAMD Althon 64 = 1.8ghzAMD Athlon 64 FX.

Its the speed in relation to the models i really cant get my head around. Then if it would be possible to say a what pentium speed = AMD speed?!?! For example...

1.8ghz AMD athlon 64 FX = 2.2ghz Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition with Hyper-Threading.

Would this be possible or am i creating too much work for you guys now?
Thanks if you can and thanks for the info so far if you cant ;)

No. When you get the GHz on an AMD, that's what it equals to on a Pentium but it seems to run like a higher Pentium.

i.e 1.8 GHz AMD runs similar to 2.3 GHz Pentium. (random numbers)

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Your friend is right, the Celeron M is a better chip. The Celeron is (lets say, again using random numbers) a Socket 555 with the Celeron M being Socket 737. The 737 will run faster than 555 because it has more memory (I think that’s what it is).

“3ghzAMD athlon XP = 2.7ghzAMD Sempron = 2.2ghzAMD Althon 64 = 1.8ghzAMD Athlon 64 FX.”

Numbers are all backwards. AMD Athlon 64 FX are the best processors out there right now. AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 beats Pentium 4 HT 3.6 EE which is saying A LOT.

Give me about a half hour, I’ll try my best to compare the speeds of some AMDs and Pentiums. With Pentium, the number they tell you in GHz or MHz is the speed you get, with AMD, it’s different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom