AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first computer was a 486 33mhz, then i got a 486 66mhz, then i got a Amd k6-2 550mhz, then i got my Axp 2200+ and love it.....

My first computer was a comodore64 and my second one was a Pentium1 133mhz oc'd to 150mhz(WOW!!) my third computer was a 950mhz duron and then my 4th was a 2600+ and now what i got.

When I was born, we had a Commodore 64, then we got an IBM 286, then a PI 120mhz. Then I got my own first computer, a 900mhz Athlon, which I'm still using, along side with a PIII 450mhz. I'm hoping to get an upgrade soon, hopefully an Athlon 64 3500.

Re: Re: Processors Comparing

At least with an Intel chip when you OC, and it overheats, you can just shut it down, and back the OC off a little... AMD chips just roast like a marshmellow on a cozy campfire.

Re: Re: Re: Processors Comparing

Rizinc4 said:
At least with an Intel chip when you OC, and it overheats, you can just shut it down, and back the OC off a little... AMD chips just roast like a marshmellow on a cozy campfire.

Not if you have a good mobo to control your processor. My mobo automatically shuts down if my system/power supply/processor get to hot. My processor can get to a temp of 185 degrees F, and it doesn't fry, my mobo shuts my PC off. I consider that pretty hot, and I can OC my processor from 2.2 GHz to 2.4 GHz (dont know if that is a lot) and mine has a crappy heatsink, and it doesn't overheat :)

Yes most higher end AMD mobos have the same heat safety's that Intel has. You set the temp you want it to warn you at, shutoff at. Mine is 75C i believe, but my chip will go to 100C AMD states. I have it warn at 50C in speedfan, 65C warn in BIOS, and 75C shutoff in BIOS. I usually never go over 42C @ 2.4GHz even after hours of gaming...so 50C would be somewhat of a problem.

Blake said:
high temps cause cpus to have shorter life spans...

65C+ probably will cut lifespan. but running below that 24/7 i dont think is any problem. My intel runs ~40C idle and 55C load all the time, and my main rig 28C-42C...the differences in temps are pretty large...but i still think this 5yr. old Intel would last ALOT longer than my 1 yr. old main rig. Just cuz it's not overclocked.

Although AMD runs much hotter there proccesers are better in quality and reliability . Overall of your ooking for power go with AMD's 64 bit

well, thats also saying that you are going to have the same processor and it die out when you wanna get another one. The processor I currently have (AMD 64 3400+, socket 939) will be outdated in about 2-3 years. Processors lifespans are longer than that, and depending on how long you are on your computer, a processor will last a lot longer than that. A processor usualy lasts 1,000,000 hours, or 114 years (approx.), and by then the technology you have will be FAR outdated. You will by then have upgraded your computer, and plus shave a few years off of that...think about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom