AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Eyes

Daemon Poster
AMD Processor vs. Pentium Processor

Hi I just joined and I have a few questions. Are AMD processors any better than a Pentium? Is the switch from Pentium to AMD smooth? I was looking at getting a new computer and I was introduced to an AMD processor so I was a little intrugued. Please nothing too in-depth, I'm just starting out in the PC world. At the moment, i'm looking at a 3200+ AMD processor (got a quote and the guy didn't write down the full name of hardly any thing).

the full computer setup is this (the quote was written down as this):

NVidia 6800 GT 256MB video card
2048MB PC3200 DDR RAM
S939 3200+
S939 K8NS Ultra MB
240GB RAIDED SATA
16x Dual Layer DVD+RW
Windows XP
ATX case
500W power supply
17" LCD monitor

Is this good to run the newest games like Doom 3, Half-life 2, etc? Also, do you think i should get a better processor?

damn skippy! thats almost as good as my computer! you might want to get a 3500+ but what you got should still be good enough to run anything.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Basically, Pentiums give you slightly higher performance for a huge increase in price, and are known to be better with high-demand apps than AMD, whereas AMD is generally considered better for gaming.
AMDs are also known to run a little bit hotter.

I think if you're on a budget, gaming only with your PC, or looking for a high performance/cost ratio you should get an AMD.
If you have a lot of money to spend and you run a lot of taxing progs, go Intel.

People argue over this topic day in and day out and solve absolutely nothing. It might as well be an argument between religions or politics.

how much is he charging you? and at a glance i think it looks quite nice, but check all the prices and see if he is overcharging you much... and as for AMD they are the current performance leaders hand down in games and damn close to intel on everything else... on these forums AMD is king, and throughout most the people who know about computers AMD is king... unless you are photoshop editting or such things... that comp will do fine on all new games... even tho it seems like too much RAM perhaps

Nvidia fan boy said:
damn skippy! thats almost as good as my computer! you might want to get a 3500+ but what you got should still be good enough to run anything.

My dad runs a business and it's getting quite successful so he wants me and my games off his computer so he is buying me this compter. i'm in love with that video card though. 6800GT. mmmmm.

with monitor it's about 1800 USD. and i was lookin at the Soudn Blaster Audigy 2ZS Plantium Pro video card. so that's around 200 right? basically it's 2 grand.

also the RAM is there to run UG (UniGraphics)

should i stick with the 6800GT? the guy i got a quote from was a big gamer and he said it should be fine for a while.

alright, thanks for you help! i was just browsing some of the other threads and some of this stuff you guys get REALLY into! it's just phenominal how in-depth one can get with computers.

i find it very cool =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom