AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Basically, Pentiums give you slightly higher performance for a huge increase in price, and are known to be better with high-demand apps than AMD, whereas AMD is generally considered better for gaming.
AMDs are also known to run a little bit hotter

I think if you're on a budget, gaming only with your PC, or looking for a high performance/cost ratio you should get an AMD.
If you have a lot of money to spend and you run a lot of taxing progs, go Intel.

People argue over this topic day in and day out and solve absolutely nothing. It might as well be an argument between religions or politics."AMDs are also known to run a little bit hotter

wat are you talking about. the only reason im gonig with amd cause its better then intel * i been with intel for my whole life and now im switching*( ALL THE WASTED YEARS) and its good for gaming and it runs cooler then intel WAT DO YOU MEAN IT RUNS HOTTER

Heyyo,

Yeah, everyone knows the prescott cores run hella hot, which's why their stock HSF is much more highly developped than the amd one. I mean, look at the amd one for crying out loud. It's small, doesn't look like it's worth more than $10. The P4 needs a damn expensive stock HSF solution. So yes, if you used the same cooling solution on both an amd and an intel, no doupt in my mind the amd's would be cooler.

Umm, dude AMD's run hotter than Intel. If you used the same HSF that AMD uses on an Intel, the Intel would be cooler...ROFL dude...

Heyyo,

Hmm, it seems no one has really done benchmarks with the an equivalent P4 and AMD cpu. I scavenged for an actual site with benchmarks for HSF's where they matched the same cooler with amd and intel, and couldn't find any, but luckly there was a site that has tested HSF's on AMD's and Intels at different times. Now this does give some hint that intel was cooler before the new prescott core, also note that the Intel p4 was only 2.4GHz, and the amd was an Athalon64 3000+:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=13&artpage=1293&articID=224 (<< that's a lot of tests eh? and there's even a last page. crazy.)

and

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=1194&articID=245

Now, results I used:

Zalman CNPS 7700CU

AMD Athalon64 3000+: 62.4ºC, 35 @ 40cm (dBA)
Intel P4 2.4C: 48.7º, 35.8 @ 70cm (dBA)

Hmm, also note the Intel P4 tests were from farther away, so maybe at the same range as the AMD tests it would've been a bit louder, probably not that much though. ~4dBA.

If anyone has links to something like an AMD A64 3200+ and a P4 3.2GHz EE cpu going on testing HSF solutions? please link away. :)

I read up the THG for their latest AMD and Intel stress tests, they say the new Intel duel cores can take up to 30% more power consumption than AMD onna full load. So not only is the thing costly to buy, but even whilst owning it I'd be more expensive.

Athlon 64's run between 35 and 45 degrees (C) and the high-end ones like the X2's sometimes hitting 50, however it is not uncommon for the average Prescott to reach 70 degrees (C)

hey, first time posting in this thread. Fellas, I've got a question for those of you who have HAD the Athlon 64 3400. Did you need anything more than the standard heat-sink and fan if you're NOT overclocking? Just wondering if it's an issue if you're running it stock.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom