AMD not heading the multi-core route like intel is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm down, calm down...

I think you misunderstood me/I didn't get my point across very well, since I don't really understand how all of this stuff works/will work in the future, but if quad cores become mainstream and stuff, perhaps they will become a necesity, etc. and could render singlecore processors useless. Then octocore processors become mainstream, they become a necesity or something, and render quad cores useless. As I said before, I don't know how this will work out, but 100 core processors really seem like a lot... not many people can max out two..(with some exceptions like encoding(I think.))

I'm with AMD on this one, I believe going to 2 cores isn't a bad idea, or even 4 cores. But it will just get out of hand on anything higher than that. Programming would be much more difficult. It's already decently hard enough to code for 2 cores, let alone 4+ cores.

it is difficult to program SMP apps but the main problem is most companies either can't be bothered or try to take shortcuts. there are some neat multi-threaded apps out there where you only need specify how many threads and it can adapt to any SMP system. software companies though, instead of starting from the drawing board try to graft SMP support on top of a program.

i guess no one realises that AMD and Intel are only the leading mainstream processor manufacturers. there's RISC and IBM and many more. quad core is nothing new, just availability to the average joe. even 16 and 32 core processors aren't new....

You don't understand. Programs have threads, right now on my single core Athlon XP 2700+ I am probably running 100-120 threads. If I had 120 cores, then each thread would be running continuously and the processor wouldn't need to time splice.

More and faster cores is the way to go.

The General said:
More and faster cores is the way to go. [/B]
Then you think that intel is going in the right direction? What about AMD's idea? I still don't understand completely what they are doing but it sounds more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom