AMD Mobos support dual channel?...and other questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipa66

Baseband Member
My system is almost 3 years old and I've been thinking of a relatively major upgrade. I've been doing a lot of comparison research and see that some of the socket AMD 754 boards(at least the few I've looked at) don't support dual channel RAM. I'm currently a P4 user and don't have any experience with AMD processors so I'm pretty much in the dark as to how their architecture is set up so please forgive me if I'm misinterpreting the info I'm seeing out there. I've been trying to pick through resources gere and there but the info can be overwhelming. Anyone have any info for me about the RAM thing? Any other advice is also appreciated.My current system setup is below -

Asus P4T-E mobo with 4x AGP support - 533 FSB
P4 2.4 - 533 FSB
512 PC800 RDRAM
Geforce FX 5900
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer

If I stick with an Intel processor and upgrade(say to a 3.2 for example) along with a new mobo with 800 FSB, dual channel memory support and an 8x AGP slot, what performance gains could I expect if I keep my current video card? I don't want to upgrade to a 6800 yet because I think I'm at the point where I'm becoming limited by the rest of my current hardware and would like to start laying a more solid foundation for upgrades in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom