AMD to Intel Conversion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default AMD to Intel Conversion

Hey,

I was just wonder what the difference is. For instance, an AMD Turion TL-64 Dual core that's clocked at 2.2Ghz versus an Intel dual core that's clocked at 2.2Ghz. I hear somewhere that you add 800Mhz to an AMD to make it equal an Intel but I dunno. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Tommy

Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to aaronkupen Send a message via Yahoo to aaronkupen
Default Re: AMD to Intel Conversion

Well there's a lot more to it than that. If you come up with a more specific question we can be of more help, but until then I'd check google and wikipedia for your answers.

But what I can tell you know is that clock for clock Core 2 Duo > Phenom, X2, AMD 64 > Pentium 4/D.

And also, there is no exact conversion for clocks, because that's not the only thing that gives the processor its performance.

ATI Radeon HD 5670
Windows Vista Business x64
Old 03-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

There isn't a specific way to convert or compare AMD and Intel processors.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapJack View Post
Hey,

I was just wonder what the difference is. For instance, an AMD Turion TL-64 Dual core that's clocked at 2.2Ghz versus an Intel dual core that's clocked at 2.2Ghz. I hear somewhere that you add 800Mhz to an AMD to make it equal an Intel but I dunno. Help would be appreciated.
Core 2 Duo is much faster than a similar clocked Turion
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

this is a simple question with a pretty complex answer. i'd rather not get into the nitty gritty and give you a proper answer, the best way to relate the clock speeds was written above but i'll make an addition Core 2 > Core > K8 > Pentium M > K7 > P4 (K8 is the Athlon 64 series, K7 is the Athlon XP series). this is when comparing processors of the same clock speed.

if you tell us in particular what Intel dual core series you would like us to compare with we can give a better answer (there are 3 main series).
Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapJack View Post
Hey,

Thanks,
- Tommy

Let me put it this way, Intel over clocks better for one, and keeps cooler. But to be honest the difference between the X2 and the Core Duo is so little, that its just usually smarter to go with the X2. But as far as the Quads go, Intel has AMD beat there.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

there are two versions of the Core architecture, Core and Core 2. Core is perhaps marginally better than the K8 series. the number of processor cores isn't very helpful when we are talking about processing efficiency. the Core 2 processors are considerably more efficient than AMD's K8.

Closed Thread