Which AMD or INTEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackmanOne

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am finally deciding on my system, but finally I need to know which processor is better?

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

OR

Intel Pentium 4 2.8C GHz

Now I am not going to overclock, as it will be in use while are University, and I don't want to risk melting my computer a night before exams :).

Now I am thinking the P4, because of the HT Tech. However, I wouldn't be rendering any video's or anything. Infact the most I would be doing would be playing mp3s on winamp while playing some madden2003. Would HT even be noticeable?

I also plan on getting either a 9600XT or 9800Pro. I would rather save the extra 100 bucks and jsut get the 9600XT, but i want to be able to play future games like HL2 and Doom3 with all the bells and whistles. Would I need the 9800Pro, or would be cpu be fast enough to handle it?

Thanks for all the help guys.

I agree, get the AMD. You wont notice much of a performance boost from HT unless you do a lot of multitaskiing. As for video card I would get the 9800Pro.

Pent 2.8c. Dont got to worry about buying some special fan and heat sink's.Wondering if man did i use the right backing for my heat sink.Is today the day it melts down or will it be tommorow.
Hanging around forum's trying to find out how far this and that guy went to OC his board before it fried.Cause he wanted to keep up with the Pent.

http://maximumpc.pricegrabber.com/s...p=0&form_keyword=&sortby=&ut=440d91096e0551e0
178. for a lot of peace of mind.

I like the p4, there costs arent to bad right now and i have heard they have droped because of the prescott coming out, but i just have had bad experince with amd. I just think the intel processers are made better. For cost and performance wise the amds are always cheaper.

Silesia said:
For the over all price difference, go the AMD.

if you get the P4C 2.8GHz its $174, the AMD 3000+ is $178 or $184 for the 400 FSB, so the Intel is actually cheaper, I'd go Intel, always, just beacuse like deadguy said, you dont have to worry about overclocking it to get it to keep up

He's right about the price, Intel has really dropped theirs to be competative. The P4 2.8 wins out over the 3000+ just about all the time when clock speeds are stock. I say go Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom