AMD And Intel - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Question AMD And Intel

I have a question thats kinda confusing me.

How can AMD be good at running Games and not wrong programs as well as Intel? dont games usually demand more power than programs?
So if AMD can satisfy a game, how come it cant easily satisfy a program like photoshop?

Old 03-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Different processors are built for different purposes. The hardware itself can be designed to be "better" at some tasks than others. For example, you can buy special processors than are amazing at doing cryptography that will pwn any Intel/AMD processor in the market.

It's a design issue really. The management decides the requirements and sends the techie staff to design it.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

But i dont understand how that works, a program is clearly demading less power than a game, so how can a Processor that can run a thing as powerful as a game and yet not be able to run something as simple as a program?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by john3
But i dont understand how that works, a program is clearly demading less power than a game, so how can a Processor that can run a thing as powerful as a game and yet not be able to run something as simple as a program?
A game IS a program as well.

And "programs" (that are not games) are not necessarily not less demanding than games. I've run many s/w that are 10x more demanding than games on the processor.

In order to describe "how" two processors are different from each other and how it effects performance between different types of applications needs some time.

But to give you a very simple example:
Encryption s/w would benefit more from integer processing power than floating point. And engineering calculations would need a lot of floating point power. Depending on where the resources are allocated, the CPU could be made to be better at one task than the other, or vice versa.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

John3: you need to Use the forum Search Feature. Your Question Has been answered ALOT! Of times.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=34691
Old 03-04-2006, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
a program is clearly demading less power than a game
heavy video encoding etc will generally do more than a game. basically AMD is optimised for games, there are certain things that games need processed more than anything else and AMD has adapted their processors so that it can execute these tasks faster
Old 03-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Many games are more graphics intensive than CPU intensive, so much of the load rests on the graphics card. Programs, such as encoding programs, are almost purely CPU. As nitestick said, AMD processors are better optimized for gaming because of the number of instructions per cycle.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via AIM to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via Yahoo to Jam3s-Zer0
Default Re: AMD And Intel

Quote:
Originally posted by john3
[Bhow come it cant easily satisfy a program like photoshop? [/B]
Lol alot of Amd processors can 'satisfy' demanding programs.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

k but, if i were to get AMD would i have problems running a program like Photoshop?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

no. basically anything AMD currently manufactures and even a fair way back will run photoshop. i don't know what source your information is coming from but if it is a real person they should be slapped. we wouldn't buy crippled processors for crying out loud

Closed Thread