AMD and Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowdroog

Beta member
Is there a big difference in an AMD chip or an Intel chip if the speed is the same? please help, i don't know the market too well... the AMD ones seem to be a lot cheaper is all i can tell...

background: i just need a desktop for school, for under 600 but still with a half decent video card...

thanks a lot

And AMD will outperform an Intel at the same clock speed. AMD's do more work per clock cycle. But Intel competes against AMD with just shear clock speed.

AMD = Better at gaming
Intel = Multitasking, encoding.

ohh i see.. do u think anyone here can build me a comp for 800 and less? please? =] im trying to make a 2nd value comp now, i just wana play WoW Smoothly, [ ram + cpu eater ].

When I built my IIS/SQL2k5 box on the cheap, I went with Intel because they still perform solidly (though I would definitely rather have an AMD64 chip). The main factor in getting it so cheaply was the fact that i865PE based LGA775 boards can be had for $65.

you can get an alright lga775 all in one board in australia for about that price. basically the first response says it all, if by speed you mean frequency then an AMD will beat an Intel anyday but Intel make cpu's with a far greater clock speed. but im thinking you didn't really mean frequency rather than just 2 comparable processors. if your willing to pay a lot for the clock speed AMD should be far better

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI Lanparty nForce4 Ultra D
GeForce 6600 GT
2x512 twinMOS RAM
OCZ Modstream 510 watts.
Pick a case
NEC optical drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom