AMD - FX-55 vs FX-53 vs 4000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I was just reading an articles that outlined all of the features of all 3 of these CPU's. It was really interesting to find out that the only major difference between these 3 processors is basically the name and price tag. I kinda wish now that I would have gone with the 4000+ because it would have saved me at least 300+ which I could have used towards something else. Anyway... I don't understand why the price range of the FX-55 & the 4000+ is almost a 300 dollar difference. Other then the name, frequency and max thermal power, they are virtually the same.

Check this out:

FX-55 2.6GHz L1 Cache for all is 128k total
FX-53 2.4GHz L2 Cache for all is 1MB
4000+ 2.4GHz HT is 2000MHz for all

Process for all is 130nm/90nm
Transistor Count is ~105.9 million for all
Die Size is the same 193mm2
Voltage 1.50v for all
FX-55 max thermal power is 104w, FX-53 & 4000+ is 89w

Cost
FX-55 ($815 - $840)
FX-53 ($725 - $740)
4000+ ($545 - $580)

What are everyones thoughts?

Hmmmmm don't know besides the fact that the FX's were original server chips. You'd have to run actual benches comparing them all not whether they all have the same components.

All WR's are held with FX chips though so appearantly they are better for somethin :D

To begin with, they are still all 130nm cores, they use the Sledgehammer and Clawhammer cores, the Clawhammer is slightly faster I believe.

Nubius, you had the right idea with their previous server use.

The big difference between the two is the architechture, since the FX series was originally from the socket 940 family and the Athlon 64 series from the socket 754 series, the FX series inherited some of the architechtural differences which are very similiar to the Opeteron Cores, and also obtained a lot of the characteristics found on the Athlon 64.

This basically means the FX processors use a superior architechture which gives them that little edge which AMD justifies the price jack (which I don't feel is worth it).

The only other big difference is the unlocked multiplier on the FX processors.

I would opt for the 4000+. It is basiclly an FX-53 with a different name. the fx 55 is slightly faster than the fx 53. keep in mind that when AMD unveils their new FX chips, they just move the current FX-53 down to 4000+ (or whatever they rename it). at least thats what they did last time.

i belive i read somewhere that when thay released the 4000+, it was found to be basically just a Fx-53

jump from fx53-55 would be nice if u had the money to blow, but in the real world, its just stupid to pay that much for such little gain

wow DJ-CHRIS nice post. That list is amazing. Lot's of great info. Good Job. That list of benches basically proves that the 4000+ is equal if not better than the FX-53.

Question? Can the 4000+ be overclocked? I've read that the multiplier is locked on the 4000+, may-be this is why they are selling it for almost 300+ less then the FX-55. God-I would just buy a 4000+ and OC it to or past 2.6Ghz and call it a day. Anyone know?

OH WAIT: Nevermind I just found this:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1666&page=3

Just because a multiplier is locked doesn't mean a core can't be overclocked. An unlocked multiplier just means it can be both increased and decreased, rather than just decreased.

The 4000+ can still be overclocked by increasing the HTT speed, and the new San Diego 4000+ should prove to have exceptional overclocking potential.

As I've said, I believe the FX-53 still inherited a bit of Opteron Architechture which is the reason for the excessive price tag.

I seem to recall reading that the FX-53 uses a different memory controller than the 4000+, and the FX-55 uses the same one as the 4000+, but I can't remember.

edit - I remember! The FX-53 uses registered 128 bit memory, and the 4000+ uses 128 bit unbuffered memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom