AMD CPU type

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmonk888

Baseband Member
hey i have a question ... im looking at 2 different AMD cpus and i have NO idea what the difference is ...theyre both 939 processors... one is called "newcastle" other is called "winchester" .. so.. i know works at 90nm(please inform me on what this actually is) .. other one is at 0.13 micron .. which one is better or whats the difference ..price was 10 dollar difference... thnx for input ..
also .. ive been looking everywhere for a cheap case .. and pricewatch has like .. 100s of them.. but i cant find one that i want .. i just want a beige/white case ... 5 80mm fan support, no PS , and NO see through side panel .. youd be shocked how hard it is to get something like this .. anyways .. if any of you guys know or own something like the above.. please respond =D

thnx
madmonk

Hi madmonk888,

I'm no expert, but I happen to know that the 90nm and 130nm (0.13micron) refers to the manufacturing process used to make the cpus. Higher operating frequencies require smaller transistor sizes in the chips. Basically the smaller the better because it uses less power and hence dissipates less heat as well. The AMD Athlon 64 w/ 90nm SOI (Silicon-on-Insulator) technology is the better choice. As for the case, you can try your research here

Hope that helps !

theyre both 939 processors... one is called "newcastle" other is called "winchester"

Not correct...the Newcastle core bridges over two different socket types: 754 and 939, while the Winchester is purely socket 939.

The 90nm process designation is for socket 939.

So, your decision will rely on what motherboard you have or are planning to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom