AMD CPU Core Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Baseband Member
Hi,

Is a dual core processor important if I wonÂ’t be multitasking? Will the dual core processor be significantly better for gaming, HL2 mapping, and compiling maps than a less expensive single core?

Also, can someone point me to a link that explains the differences between all the different AMD cores?

Thanks

Well dual cores could be better. But not enough to justify the cost. What you could do now with games, is have 1 core do the game, and the rest of the backround processes on the 2nd core.

The reason the performance/price ratio isnt up to par, is because most games do not support SMP(symetrical multi processing)

In like 1-2 years more and more games are going to be optimized for dual core. So you really have to weight the options.

Thanks, so can anyone tell me of a site that explains the differences between the different cores (i.e. Venice, etc)?

Some cores have more L2 cache than others. Some can Overclock higher than others.

But other than that, you would have to ask an AMD user.

Heyyo,

Uzi's right. Same goes for athlon64 cpus. Right now it's like paying big cash for technology you can't even get the full potential from. Heck, Far Cry's the only game that supports 64bit cpus. Wait it out, maybe valve will update their mapping programs to support 64bit cpus and SMP. By then, the pricetag onna dual core cpu could go down by $10 or so, so that's extra money in the pocket.

As far as dual cores go now, there hasn't been an games designed to utilize the dual core CPU's. But, this will definetly change over time. Eventually game developers will incorporate dual core support into their games. I think this will really start to evolve once the PS3 & XBOX 360 hit the market. All of the games for both consoles are being developed to run on mulitcore CPU's.
PC-GAME makers will follow suit.

If you are interested in a dual core, consider the AMD 64 X2 4400. That will give you the best bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom