AMD battles Barcelona delay rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
'Intel killer' on schedule, AMD claims

Tom Sanders in California, UK technology, news, reviews and downloads - vnunet.com 07 Jun 2007
120749;0.23107948706478187

AMD is denying reports that its highly anticipated Barcelona quad-core processor has been hit by a delay.
Barcelona is scheduled for release this summer and is still on track, AMD spokesman Andrew Fox told UK technology, news, reviews and downloads - vnunet.com.
In the run-up to the launch, AMD is showing off the first working production chips at the Computex tradeshow in Taipei this week.
Supercomputer company Cray started raining on the chipmaker's parade with a warning on Monday that its upcoming XT4 supercomputer would be delayed because of production problems with Barcelona.
A story on the Dow Jones Newswire on Wednesday quoted Cray spokesman Steve Conway as saying that Barcelona was behind the delay.
Conway declined to comment to UK technology, news, reviews and downloads - vnunet.com, but pointed to news reports that discredited his original quote.
Cray's XT4 will in fact be using Budapest, another quad-core AMD chip that has always been scheduled for a late 2007 release.
Budapest is aimed at low-cost single-socket servers for application in file servers, print servers and other less CPU-intensive tasks.
Also on Tuesday Citigroup analyst Glen Yeung said that he believed that Barcelona would be delayed. He based his findings on conversations with server vendors at the Computex tradeshow and pegged the new release date at September/October.
The two reports sent AMD stock down on Tuesday and Wednesday, as a delay would have a large impact on the chipmaker's profitability.
AMD has hyped Barcelona as the chip that will allow the company to take back the performance-per-watt lead from Intel. The metric indicates that the chip offers the best balance of power consumption and performance.
Barcelona is therefore considered a key weapon in AMD's continuing price war with Intel.
AMD battles Barcelona delay rumours - vnunet.com

I said account, not computer... lol ^___^

Still can't wait for the new CPU's to come out, even though I am too poor to afford anything new...

I said account, not computer... lol ^___^

Still can't wait for the new CPU's to come out, even though I am too poor to afford anything new...

i'm speaking in 3rd person now:

Vernon Gomes needs a brand new system and trash his P4 :) will Barcelona be a 65nm or be like the 45nm Penryns? i cant wait for the CPU-wars!!!!!

According to Daily Tech , pre-production "Barcelona" samples it tested didn't even hit 2.0GHz, but "ran at 1.6 GHz - still 400 MHz under the estimated launch speed and 700 MHz under the road-mapped top-out frequency."

link

ALSO:

AMD Barcelona not fast enough to beat Intel Core 2
Gartner says Intel still has the edge

Robert Jaques, vnunet.com 05 Jul 2007

AMD's quad-core Barcelona processors are not yet fast enough to beat Intel's Core 2 processors, despite claimed performance improvements of up to 40 per cent over current offerings, Gartner believes.

link to article

This would be the latest news from vnunet.com....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom