AMD "Barton" processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizzeith

In Runtime
This is something that really baffled me:

I am using the AMD athlon XP 2500+ chip, and everywhere I find information on this processor, it says the XP 2500+ "barton".

Who or what in the heck is barton? Also, I noticed on all of my packaging, it never once says the word barton. Do they make a XP 2500+ Non barton series????

Just wondering.

I forget where the cutoff was i think the xp2200, but some were offered in thoroughbred or barton cores. The barton cores have more cache and more transistors. the core it self is shaped diff. the barton is more rectangle than the square thoroughbred core. I think the xp 2500 only comes in the barton core, i think.

barton is the newer cores from AMD. like tech4hire says their is a cutoff point where some XP chips have barton or thouroubred cores or palamino core.

xp2500 only has one flavor i think which is barton. aside from core some XP chips also come in different bus speeds. for example i think xp2600 comes in 266Mhz and 333Mhz bus flavors.

the main difference between thouroughbred and barton is the CPU cache. the incresed memory is supposed to make it run better/ faster.

A 2500+ based on the 266 MHz FSB could possibly exist theoretically, but I suppose that would put the multiplier in an awkward distance between two reasonable core frequencies (usually a multiple of 1/3 or 10).

The Barton has also 512 KB of level 2 cache (opposed to 256 on the TBred).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom