AMD Athlon Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerohero2

Baseband Member
Yeah I have a serious problem with AMD. Though their processors are far better than Intel, I can't tell what speed they are. Okay right now I have an Athlon XP 1800+ (upgrading to 64bit soon) and it says 1800mhz but it also says 1535mhz for frequency. Which one tells the actual speed? Intel always has both those numbers around the same. So do I have 1.5Ghz CPU or 1.8Ghz CPU?

Attachments

• amd logo.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 41
You have a 1.5GHz processor that can perform equal to a 1.8GHz Intel processor or better.

GHz don't mean as much with AMD, as they run much better than Intel, getting more done per clock cycle.

That's why AMD uses the numbers... 1800+ = 1.8GHZ+

so if a game requires 1.8Ghz I can run it (with trouble but...)? Or is it stictly 1.53Ghz or below at a faster clock cycle?

when they say it requires 1.8GHz they are basically referring to Intel machines........as he said, an 1800+ means that it is equivelant or better in some cases to a 1.8GHz Intel........so based on that, one can assume that yes your processor will be fine.

AMD's do more instructions per cycle......this is why they are slower in the frequency but actually do just as much if not more than an Intel.

AMD named them 1800+, 2400+, 3200+ etc..etc...to make it easier on people to let them know what it's equivelant to...3200+ is closely equivelant to 3200MHz or 3.2GHz

I don't see why a lot of people seem to have such a hard time understanding that.

Just realize when you're looking on the back of software or games, it's always in reference to an Intel since they are the more dominate company.

if it says you need a 2.4GHz CPU then an AMD 2400+ would do it

thanks, I figured that that's what it ment but 2 figures get confusing. thanks a bunch guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom