AMD Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewtheGreat

In Runtime
Hi,
I have always been an intel person, would anyone care to explain how the Athlon 64 is soo fast if it is only at max a 2.2 GHz proc. I am curious to know.

Andrew Davis

For one thing it has a 1600 Mhz Front Side Bus compared to the 800 Mhz of a P4. It has more sockets (therefore it can transmit more data, in less time), it is 64 bit (will make a huge difference once the applications are released). And it has a much shorter pipeline than the P4. AMDs are also better at multitasking.

There are also many more advantages that I am unaware of, so I just listed what I know. I have always been an intel guy, but I decided to go with AMD for my next gaming system.

For gaming, AMD got advantage cosz it got 3D instructions which Intel dont have.

amd's are faster because they have a SHORTER Pipeline which also makes it run hotter but faster intels have LONGER pipelines which make them need a very high frequency for them to be fast thats why amd's have monikers to compare the speed with intel

800 Mhz fsb? that is not bad at all. So do you guys recommend that my next gaming pc is an AMD 64 over a pentium prescott?

honestly, u really wont distinguish any diff between say a amd 64 3200+ or a intel p4 3.2ghz. Just pick what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom