AMD 64 and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey folks

I've got the CPU listed below and 2 sticks of Kingston 512 RAM. Would there be any problem dropping 2 more sticks in for a total of 2G in the B slots? I know that people have said not to bother yet with 2G of RAM, but I'm just wondering. Also, I believe that the AMD 64 supports dual-channel (but not DDR2 on my setup) - will the added RAM in the B slots run dual as well?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions - still learning.

K

Pretty sure amd still doesn't support ddr2 nor do they plan to. Also what is the computer for? If you do video editing than yeah get 2gb but if your just using the net than don't do it.

Oh and I believe it should run them both in dual channel but make sure your board will support all 4 at maximum fsb.

Yeah, I didn't think it supported DDR2 (no big loss, from what I've read). Is there an easy way to find out if the MoBo will support all four slots dual channel?

K

AMD will move to DDR2 when their prices reach current DDR prices, which will be during the socket M2 migration happening in 2006.

Yes, all four channels are capable of ruinning dual channel memory configurations simutaneously, however, you don't need 2GB. I know people will come in here and argue otherwise, but I'll ask them why they don't use 4GB since they clearly seem to think bigger is better. Point being, 1GB is supplementary.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I didn't think I needed 2 gigs, but I was curious nonetheless.

K

Well you still need to know if the board will run all 4 sticks at full fsb. I know some socket A boards didn't.
Though like its been stated before you probably don't need 2 gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom