AMD 64 Bit Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser

Baseband Member
What are the actual performance differences when it comes down to an Athlon64 3400+ vs. AthlonFX-51? Why is the price for the FX-51 so much more than the 3400+? Also, have they stopped the production of 32-bit processors after the 3200+?

there isn't that much of a difference between the two. the main difference is that the fx has a dual channel memory config, versus single channel for the 3400. this doesnt make too much of a difference unless u use workstation apps like 3d modeling programs. i would suggest checking out this link to see the actual difference between the two.http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1946, it has a bunch of benchmarks comparing the two. and for the second question, they will continue production of 32 bit processors, as they are keeping the athlon xp for their budget line.

dual channel ram support that enables it to have a banwith if 6.4 gigs per second vs amd 64 3200+/3400+ 3.2 wont make that much if a difference but still some there is a test in pc mag that puts it about 7 points slower in a render of various auto cad photoshop etc

(correct me on the exact numbers those were just off the top of my head)

yes they are producing the 32 bit proc's still, they have only 2 64 bit proc's so far.
the 64 bit's do outperform the 32 bit's even when in 32 bit calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom