AMD 64-Bit Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazee

Solid State Member
We have a AMD 64 Bit computer set up running windows xp. We keep having problems with the computers graphics changing on us and now the computer goes into a chkdsk loop each time saying that there were a crap load of orphaned files.

1st the graphics thing. After we first install windows the theme of the computer it the standerd xp theme with the blue task bar and green start button and all that xp round look. But after a couple reboots the computer theme changes to windows classic theme and we chan't change it back. the option isn't there any more in the display properties window.

2nd the chkdsk thing. After a while the computer desides to run chkdsk on start up and keep saying that there are a crap load if orphaned files that are found and it relocates them to a folder. The thing is that it wont stop doing this tell we reformat it.

If you have any ideas why this would keep doing this please help.

We thought about that and have tryed another drive right out of the box.

Oh ya and yes it does this ever time after a couple of rebotes.

weird, are you using an sata hd? dunno, maybe the cable is screwed and causing problems. As far as the 'graphics' there is a service that provides that 'enhancement'. If the service isn't running it will give ya the classic desktop look, that I like to use.

The harddrive is an IDE. We have changed out cables. And the service do you know what one it would be.

Go to Start > Run and type in services.msc

The service that deals with the themes is called... well, "Themes" (without the quotes). Open up its properties and set the startup type to automatic.

Ok I have looked at the services thing. The themes service is running. I tryed restarting the service and nothing. The hard drive doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong yet after the last restart. But we will have to see.

I have submitted a support question with microsoft and we will see what they have to say. Also do you guys know that scence we are not useing a 64bit windows edition if that would effect anything.

Ok now I am getting a new problem with it as well. I reboot the system and now on ocation the system will boot up but nothing will display on the screen but the screen is on not on standby. Then I reboot it and get windows series error messages.

gezzz you got problems, it sounds like something funky is going on with your hardware, might want to try some different ram, or maybe a different motherboard. Don't really know what to tell you, your problems are pretty strange. I've never encountered that kind of problem before.

How big is this IDE drive? what type of file system are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom