AM2 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
"AMD needs to bring out there a game here...if they can make a 2.2 own the crap out a 3.0 intel...then why don't they just start making 3GHz cpus? Intel is pretty much calling their bluff here. I'd say bite back...HARD. Launch the best that you got way ahead of sched from AMD and **** all over intel. If they don't, amd is in trouble....big trouble"

Who cares if they are in trouble? Who cares if intel makes a better processor, buy the intel its that easy. AMD has lost money every year for the past however long they have been around. If they no longer control the PC enthusiast crowd with chips that are better for gaming/overclocking then they will sink and or just continue to lose more money.

One note on the DDR2 questions. If you look at what overclockers have already done with DDR2, you will see that there is room to get latency's down and really improve its performance.

D9 chips have been the most popular in DDR2 overclocking. I know for sure Fugger hit DDR2-800 with D9's at 3-3-3-15. I am not sure what the world record is.

Point is, the potential is there, and I think that now that AMD is in the DDR2 game, it will further push chip makers to put out some good low latency DDR2-800 sticks.

Mark my words! :p

It seems the only thing in those benchmarks that is holding AM2 back from outperforming it's predecsors is memory latency. Since DDR2 is now going to become mainstream for both Intel and AMD platforms, memory manufacturers are likely going to work harder to create low latency DDR2.

Because these benchmarks are super-early, before anyone is able to smooth out any bugs in manufacturing, I think it is unreasonable to say that AM2 is going to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom