AM2 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real advantages of Socket AM2 now seem to be:

- future proof for future CPU's that hopefully will perform better
- DDR2, if and when it outperforms DDR by a large enough margin to make DDR2 worth buying

AMD needs to bring out there a game here...if they can make a 2.2 own the crap out a 3.0 intel...then why don't they just start making 3GHz cpus? Intel is pretty much calling their bluff here. I'd say bite back...HARD. Launch the best that you got way ahead of sched from AMD and **** all over intel. If they don't, amd is in trouble....big trouble

the reason AMD didn't make DDR2 support before was cost. and now that DDR2 is getting less expensive, they're starting the switch now.

once the final release of AM2, the CPU's should have their bugs ironed out and probabbly be faster than current CPU's, although like idiotec said, the performance gain won't be much. at least not at first anyway.

Well hopefully AMD will make use of that cache techonlogy they liscensed. I forgot the details, but I know it increased the cache by 4 or something...

Make one, make it own, we will all be happy.
That's just what AMD is going to do. One socket, period.

the reason AMD didn't make DDR2 support before was cost. and now that DDR2 is getting less expensive, they're starting the switch now.
Exactly. AMD let Intel bite the big one and absorb the slackness of changing technologies.

Now that DDR2 is becoming mainstream, the time is right. That, and DDR2 800 will be hitting the scene about the same time as AM2...

once the final release of AM2, the CPU's should have their bugs ironed out and probabbly be faster than current CPU's, although like idiotec said, the performance gain won't be much. at least not at first anyway.
Everyone seems to be forgetting that the benchies were ran on a preproduction CPU and with RAM that has very loose timings. Give it time, and AMD will deliver the goods.

The main performance gain will be in a unified front for CPU sales. One socket, from custom mega-gamers to bargain-basement pre-builts.

wow.......theres just way too much speculation in here. People dismissing these benches like nothing as if those are the final set in stone product abilities.

God knows how many little issues there are that needs to be worked out in combination with the fact they didn't have the DDR2-800 like they said would really be needed.

It was a super early pre-production CPU, combine that with it being THG and I wouldn't even begin to make any sort of speculation.

On a side note however, I have not been following Intels plans at all, so I really can't comment on conroe or dothan or any of those other things I'll honestly tell ya, I know nothing about :p

I liked this line in the article:

Today, the Athlon 64 processor family is widely considered superior, which puts AMD into a role as leader rather than as a struggling competitor.

yeah! :D

New mounting does suck though......I wouldn't be able to put my water block on there without rigging up something that'll fit in the 4 holes on the motherboard and then fit into the two holes on the block. Perhaps dangerden will start selling tops for approx $15 to remedy that though.

I don't plan on upgrading until around close to 2008 though. I'm sure AMD will have yet another socket out and maybe DDR3 support by then or something. All I know is one thing is for sure, I'm going dual core. These days I'm not gaming like I used to, so I'd rather get the multi cores going for the various programs I run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom