almost ready ... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default almost ready ...

Well almost done ordering the whole PC with the exception of the casing which by far has proven to be the biggest pain in the butt .. some are too ugly .. some dont have the arcylic window .. some are without a power supply etc. etc.

my system configuration as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Thermaltake Volcano 9 CPU Cooler
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo
2 x 512 MB of PC3200 Corsair RAM
Powercolor Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
MS optical Intellimouse 5 Button mouse
Logitech Internet Keyboard
Sony 16X DVD-ROM

All this set me back about 780 $ .. that widout the cost of the casing/PS and moniter .. temme wat u guys think ..

and some1 plz suggest a site wid good casings and PS .. !

Old 10-12-2003, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Zero Shift
Default O.O

Only $780!?
Where are you ordering from??

Anyway, If you live anywhere near Illinois, or are willing to wait for something to ship from Naperville, IL, check out
they have alot of good (and good-looking) cases

NZXT Guardian Case with Thermaltake PurePower 420w
FIC AU13 motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB (Barton) with Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF
WDC 80Gb 8Mb cache 7200rpm
512Mb Kingston Dual-channel PC3200
MCP-T SoundStorm audio (integrated)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (it owned, until x800 and 6800)
Logitech Z-680 5.1 speaker system (integrated Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, Pro Logic II decoding)
Logitech Cordless Elite Duo keyboard & mouse
Saitek Cyborg Evo joystick
Windows XP Pro SP1 (dont. install. SP2.)
Old 10-12-2003, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well this price comes with the due effort of looking up online sites for like 3 weeks ! :-) .. i wanted to get the best system in a minimal price so i referred to various sites .. will list them here for all of u ...

first two are search engines: (really nice)

and the sites i got my stuff from: (Mobo, Keyboard, DVD-ROM, IDE-Cables, RAM) (Casing w/ PS) (Video Card, Mouse, CPU Cooler) (CPU)

was a pain in the butt going thru such a lot and choosing .. but well worth the price i gess ..
Old 10-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

if you spent all that money on a (very!) nice system, don't get cheap on the power supply. you risk the chance of a cheap power supply failing and potentially destroying all the components in your system.

plan to spend around $50-100 for a 400watt power supply. most antec power supplies seem to be very good, but some antec models are very hazardous like the antec truepower 430watt. read the customer reviews at newegg, it is very, VERY helpful.

my personal experiences are that windowed cases are very cool for about a month, than they get really annoying to look at. i personally bought the antec 1080AMG case that came with the antec truepower 430watt power supply and there was a guy who bought the same thing and it fried everything in his computer, so i bought an enlight 420 watt power supply for $55, it's quiet and works great so far, not to mention it it looks great.

i don't think you looked at the cases at long enough. they stock almost every kind there is. take a second look at the chieftec, cheming and antec brands especially these models:

1) ANTEC Performance PLUSVIEW Model PLUSVIEW1000AMG- with Side Window Snap-On Fan Clips Retail ***No Power Supply***

2) Chenming Model# 601AE-SL (Silver) w/ Side Panel Window Front USB 2.0 - Retail

3) CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Aluminum Workstation Tower with Plastic Front Cover) SILVER COLOR w/ Side acrylic window and a Case Fan on Side Window **Now with 2 x Front USB2.0 and 1 x Firewire IEEE1394 ports** Model AX-01SLD RetailWeights

4) CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Aluminum Workstation Tower with Plastic Front Cover) BLACK COLOR w/ Side acrylic window and a Case Fan on Side Window **Now with 2 x Front USB2.0 and 1 x Firewire IEEE1394 ports** Model AX-01BLD Retail Weights Only 18LBs!

Old 10-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well i did take a look at newegg's offers but what i found annoying was that the casing i was looking for either had a crappy power supply or was simply way outta my range .. the links to the pictures u gave me all were very appealing and i had gone thru them .. budget dint permit me to buy one though :-/ .. tops for me is 1 grand and hafta get a desk too ..
nehow i got this one ..

with the 400 watt supply .. u scared me a bit abt the PS so am gonna hafta keep the fingers crossed .. hehe ..
Closed Thread