All-in-wonder 9600xt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raulduke

Beta member
I just got a radeon 9600 xt all in wonder card, and when I install it, it makes the computer restart randomly. No bluescreen or freezing or anything, just doing something one minute and reboots the next. Windows XP says its a video driver problem, but even when i delete all the drivers and reinstall them from the disk it still happens, usually it restarts before i can finish installing them all anyway. I contacted the people ibought it from, they said download the newest drivers, when I try to, it always restarts before I can. Sent it back, figured it was bad, they said it tested good. What could be causing this? If it helps i'm running an AMD XP Barton 2600, with a Asus a7v8x-x motherboard, pc2700 DDR ram.

As soon as you said what was happening I was thinking 'Hes probably got an ASUS motherboard' sure enough by the time I get down to the bottom portion you do. I'm gonna start off with my opinion and saying it's your motherboard. Same thing happened with me when I tried installing my FX5700 and samething has happened to about 4 other people in these forums that I've helped. ASUS sucks balls now-a-days and for whatever reason they seem to not be compatible with the previous generation cards. Don't suppose you have a spare motherboard around anywhere that you could try it in do you? Try your card in another computer that doesn't have an ASUS board and see if it works. I'm about 70% sure that's what the problem is. You get previous generation card that won't work with ASUS board....like the 5th case of this I've seen including my own =/ I wound up getting an MSI KT6V motherboard which is only like $54 at zipzoomfly.com right now.

i have a 9600 128mb and installed on a 3 years old asus mothaboard ,and now i got a new asus mobo,and never had problem,maybe it depends of the mobo model?But i heard the catalysts drivers had more compatibility problems with the hardware than nVidia,beeing the major difference between both cards..

thanks for the advice, but my motherboard is brand new, just got it about a month ago, are there still compatability problems in the newer versions?

Yeah man, I had just gotten my ASUS board like 2 or 3 months before the card I got. It's not necessarily EVERY SINGLE ASUS OUT THERE...so yeah there are people who have had no problems, but the ones coming out seem to be crap. I was installing an nvidia card onto the ASUS board which had an nvidia nforce chipset and it wouldn't work together. See if it runs in another motherboard is about the best suggestion I can give. Unless you don't have access to that, then just keep troubleshooting, but I went through a week of hell and tried everything and it wouldn't work. It would work in my friends computer that had a no name brand motherboard (AZZA) and was way older machine....sounds like the same case of your card...they reported the card to work fine so I believe it's NOT the card and probably your motherboard. but without being able to switch out the mobo no real way to tell.

i dont think its MObo problem, as I have never encountered problem with Asus in my life (without wife).

upgrade your Mobo's BIOS, hopefully it'll help much.

you can try the BIOS, but if that doesn't work I stand by the mobo. Because blind_arrow, I updated my bios, updated the cards bios, drivers, formatted windows 4 different times, swapped out PSU's and nothing worked for me. Put the card in my friends computer with AZZA brand board and the card worked fine.

thats strange, as I though havent seen testing process of Asus, but only of ABIT, these all quality manufacturers passes every board via testing (6-8 hours per board) thats why quality speaks for itself.

thanks guys, now the question stands, how do I update my mobos bios? I can't keep my computer on for more than a few minutes before it randomly restarts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom