are all SSDs based on SATA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
hey guys just out of curiosity are all SSDs as of today are based on SATA? are there any IDE or SCSI SSDs? I know that the normal HDDs have IDE SATA and SCSI but i've never seen an IDE or SCSI SSD.

Yes they are all sata from my experience, however technically Compact Flash is a form of SSD and it uses a form IDE controller. You can buy IDE to CF flash adapters and the same goes for SATA to CF cards the only problem being is the cost the adapters are cheep £7 - £20 pound as are the small capacity cards (256mb - 4gb) they can go from £6 - £30 depending where you shop but the serious capacity cards (8gb an over) can set you back some serious money.

Well after some research there are IDE/PATA versions, SATA and SAS versions, even USB versions, even though the USB versions on the inside of the drive are really SATA, so it seems they come in all flavors... Only one SSD doesn't exist on is a REAL SCSI chain....

No, not all SSD's are SATA... now they have PCI-E. OCZ makes a SSD ... errr... card (1tb) that looks like a VHS tape and it goes in your pci-e slot. And there is now a *gag* fatality branded SSD that goes into pci-e slots. The price tags are just insane imo though. I'm sure there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom