All External Hard Drives Not Recognized by Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix2006

Beta member
After installing Dantz Retrospect, software that came with my Maxtor External drive, my hard drive was no longer recognized by Windows XP. I immediatly tried unistalling the software but my drive still goes unrecognized. I thought the drive was shot until I tried it on another computer which worked perfectly. A little later I bought a drive enclosure and a 320GB WD hard drive. This worked on my other computer but I encountered the same problem on this computer.

Could part of Danz still be on my system or did it change something that it did not change back? I have also experimented with uninstalling my firewire drivers (both are firewire drives) but had no success. Perhaps I did not get everything.

I should also point out that if I shutdown my computer and leave the drive on while restarting, it will be recognized but I recieve numerous errors while copying files making it impossible to use the drive on this computer.

I am not using an addon firewire card, the port is directly on my motherboard.

ATM, I have been puting files on the drive over the network as the drive works on my other computer but it would be nice if I could get a direct connection to this computer.

RS

I scanned the registry for all instances of Danz Retrospect, and Maxtor. I deleted all the results that related to external hard drives and rebooted the computer. Still no luck :(

Ok.. Disconnect the Drive (while the machine is still on.) Restart the machine and then once the machine has been logged into... Plug the external back in... Does windows recognize the drive now? New Hardware wizard? Anything like that?

The computer can now recognize the drives and I can read the files off of them but now another problem has surfaced.

I cannot copy to the hard drive. When I try, the computer hangs for a bit and I get a message that says "Device Not Ready".

Thanks for the help so far though. At least I can access the data :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom