AIM Won't connect b/c of norton firewall..help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukballer

Solid State Member
AOL Instant messanger always works..i was experiencing some problems with reading my gmail emails earlier today. I disabled the firewall,restarted the browser,and turned the firewall back on.Everything was now working properly with my gmail.
Now AIM says that the service cant be reached. When I disable the firewall, it works properly. If i disable it while i'm connected it disconnects me. I have Norton Firewall ..please help me

Why don't you just turn off the Norton Firewall then, if you want to get on AIM so bad..

why?

Why would I do that ? It has worked the past 2years with the firewall enabled. I'm not going to disable it. I think the firewall is blocking the port of something. How can I fix all this?

How do you know, norton is blocking it??? How can it suddently block it then if you've had it for the past 2 years?? Check your security level. Or go into the taskbar icon, internet applications and make sure aim is at allow full access. You do know that aim is a security risk right?

sorry

sorry for posting all those new threads..im new..i dont understand what you are saying about the taskbar and stuff..i went to the setup icon in aim and it told me what port it used. the port is not in the firewall allowd port..should i put it in?

By all means. But first go to options, internte applications and makes sure aim is allowed full access. If its not there, then add the port.
Rogeer

i used to use norton but it takes up so much CPU time, so i switched to zonealarm for my firewall and AVG for my anti virus if you have problems just use zonealarm or sygate and disable your norton firewall.

there should be a setting in the firewall program that enables you to let instant messaging programs bypass the firewall, Zone Alarm Pro has this setting, if there is no setting try searching on google for a patch that makes Norton firewall allow AIM's connection request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom