AGP/PCI Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipSet

Solid State Member
i have just purchased the athlon64 3000+. the clock is 200 mhz (x10) so it is running at 2.0 ghz. i would like to overclock the cpu to 220 mhz (x10) to get it at 2.2 ghz. by doing this, i will have to overclock my ram to ddr440.

there is one problem. i have found out that my motherboard DOES NOT have an AGP/PCI lock. is overclocking still possible?

thank you for your replies! i greatly appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to this post.

I am pretty sure that AGP/PCI lock is that when you overclock your chip, it doesn't automatically overclock your AGP and PCI cards at the same time. You can still overclock your chip without it, but you will overclock you cards at the same time, which could lead to troubles.

There are probably ways to lock your AGP and PCI cards yourself, but I don't know what they are.

i have already overclocked the frequencies of my video card through the omega drivers.

does this mean that if i overclock the cpu (clock/vcore) and ram, that the video card's frequencies will raise?

no it doesnt overclock the cards themselves but rather it turns up the bus values for the pci and agp slots so they continue to communicate with the cpu at the same ratio they were doing before... im not entirely sure how to get aronud this but if u give me ur mobo make and model i will look around on the net and try to find as much info as i can for u

i have done some research. apparently without an agp/pci lock, people have only been able to see a 200 mhz increase with the athlon 64 3000+. do you guys think that by raising the cpu by 200 mhz (as well as overclocking the ram and fsb), i will see an improvement in games?

thx by the way. u guys are being great.

well yes but you also increase ur chances of burning out the mobo... im not sure tho... but when you increase ur fsb and then ud also increase the bus speed for agp and pci , and ud put more stress on the mobo.. and if its not a stable mobo to begin with (not built for ocing) then you could end up with an unstable system (until u roll back ur settings), or a tottalled mobo.. what kind of motherboard do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom