agp and pci

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver78

Solid State Member
Hi,right now I have an mx 420. According to the properties its in PCI slot 1. Im in the market for a new card and the mx 5200 looks good. However Ivenoticed there are AGP and seemingly more expensive PCI counterparts. How do I know what is right for me, and will I be able to use the AGP one. Thanks.

with AGP you have got different versions, if you do decide to go for an agp, check which versio nof agp does your board support. the latest mobos support 8X.

i dont know what are the performance differences between agp and pci, i heard there is a 3rd format coming out now.

Thanks, so if a card says its 8x, theres no way itll run on my 4x motherboard. Or does 8x mean it just supports that.

no an 8X card will only work on an 8x board, 4x card will work with 4x board and so forth.

i dont think there is any backward compatibility what so ever

some cards have backwards compatibility, i've only seen from 2x to 2x though. 8x requires a different voltage so it really depends on your motherboard

oh, i was just thrown off by the minimum requirements for teh card which say agp 2x.

Also it seems I can buy a ti card with the same bandwidth as fx for a cheaper price. Is there anything I should be careful with as the ti is older.

Can my agp slot already be taken up by the monitor, thats what it looks like.

Sorry for teh questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom