AGP Aperature: What setting is for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JND

Solid State Member
Hey all, I did a search on the forum and I found a couple questions and responses about setting the AGP Aperature in the BIOS, but none of them were really directed at what I was wondering.

So, I have currently have a GeForce2 Mx/mx400 video card, but have a 9800 SE on the way.

Currently my AGP is set to 128MB, with 64MB and 256MB as available options.

So I have two questions, actually:
1) Can set this to 256MB right now with my GeForce card to improve graphics immediately. Or will this likely cause problems b/c my card is weak?

2) What would be a better setting for the 9800 SE when it comes. I'm still learning the BIOS.

Thanks,
Nate

P4 1500
640MB RAM

If you are doing ok with your current settings, I would keep them the same. If you set it to 256, that's taking a pretty big chunk from your ram. For the 9800, if you set it to the minimum, that would be best. The 9800 has enough of it's own memory to keep you going.

To get the best performance you possibly can you are supposed to adjust your AGP aperature to 1/2 of your total system memory. So if you have 512MB ram you should make it 256MB. But if your video card has atleast 128MB memory you shouldn't worry about it. I leave mine at 64MB. This has nothing to do with how much memory your actual video card uses.

Your AGP aperature is how much system memory is available to your video card if it runs out of memory. So as long as you have 128MB or more 64MB of aperature will be more then enough.

Ok...both of those answers help a lot. Thanks Elbatrop and Bandage Boy..

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom