Agp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noknowledge

Baseband Member
Well this isn't for a certain card...but as long as you got a AGP slot(if it's AGP) the card should should work (of course if you met the req. though) right?

most agp cards these days are 8x. 8x cards will work in a 4x slot (although only around half as good), yet 8x cards wont work in anythign below a 4x slot. so as long as you have an agp 4x or greater slot, any of the newer cards (when i say newer, i mean from about a year and a half ago) should work

but if u use a 4x spot, ur agp setttings will be at 4x no? Im asking, i am not shur. Sounds obvious, lol

yeah. thats what i meant when i said "8x cards will work in a 4x slot (although only around half as good)". So you wouldnt be getting the full benefit of having an 8x card, and might as well upgrade to a mobo that supports agp 8x.

Umm, be aware of this:

There are three types of AGP card available: AGP 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 (carrying a main supply voltage of 3.3V, 1.5V and 0.8V, respectively).

A universal AGP 8x/4x slot can handle AGP 2x/4x as well as 8x cards, but most newer motherboards are equipped with an AGP 2.0/3.0 keyed slot, which means that older AGP 2x/1x cards will not fit in, and if you *try* to get it to fit in, all you will end up with is a nice fried paperweight.

The same goes for newer graphics cards that are not backwards compatible with AGP 1.0 slots.

Check compatibility:

AGP 1.0 slot:

old+computer.jpg

AGP 2.0/3.0-only slot:

2x.jpg

A universal AGP slot has no notches, and any card can be used (unless stated otherwise by the motherboard manufacturer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom