After BIOS update, NOT booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Ok, hoping one of you master level techs can give me a hand. Updated a BIOS in my friends PC using an ASUS winXP utility. During the update I got an error. When I rebooted the system, it gave a disk boot failure. I loaded default options in CMOS and saved, PC booted normally. New BIOS seemed to be detected and working. Shut off PC, and booted it twice. No problems. Got up today and booted PC, and it's beeping like mad.

I'm getting 3 beeps, followed by 5 beeps.

It just hangs. Out of 8 times trying to reboot, once it went into BIOS and said it was operating in "Safe Mode" it told me that something with my front side bus multiplier (Something like this) was incorrect on last boot and caused a crash, recomended I correct it. I reloaded defaults and manually selected 1.8ghz processor. Upon reboot, the same beeps happened. All drives and fans seem to power up without problem. Obviously this BIOS update was hosed. I should have done it in DOS instead of using the Windows XP utility program. I'm kicking myself in the booty for not redoing the Flash in DOS, but I figured if it worked, I wasn't touching anything else! lol

Any ideas? Would pulling out the battery help? This is a friends PC, and unlike my motherboard I don't see any jumpers anywhere near his CMOS battery.

well, your right about not using the XP util. They suck bad. Anyway... hard resetting the bios might work, but I'm thinking your firend might have OC'ed this or something. is it possible the RAM is not the correct type for the Mobo in native mode?
Just a thought, but that beep code seems to say it's memory...

Do you know the type of BIOS it is? ie, who made the BIOS code? Award, phoenix...

Inaris, thank you for the reply. The BIOS is made by AWARD. I know my friend HAD OC'd the 1.8ghz CPU to run at 2.1ghz, but his applications were locking so he set it back to 1.8ghz. I popped Sandra on the system to get some performance tips and it was, in fact, operating at 1.8ghz. It's possible a multiplier was off, but I manually set it to 1.8ghz and it still would not boot.

As for the RAM, it's the same RAM that has been in the system for a couple of years.

In regards to hard resettingthe BIOS, I don't have the MOBO manual, should I just take the CMOS battery out for a few minutes? I don't see any jumped on the board to adjust :/

yea, that should do it. I'm looking into that beep code too...
Make sure to remove the power from the systemboard too. otherwise it won't work... :)

Inaris, on your second link, the 5 beep CPU error is my guess. All fans are running and it seems cool. I'm back in the BIOS, it's once again warning me that the CPU settings are off and it's operating in safe mode. Now I'm not a guru here, and by manually picking the CPU speed at 1.8ghz it still beeps when I reboot. The lowest FSB frequency setting I can manually pick is 100/33. Does that mean it's trying to run at 3300ghz? If so, is there anyway to bail myself out? I have the correct BIOS and flash utility on a disk for DOS. I don't understand how this thing was running fine last night. I even checked temperatue and it was about 45 celcius.

is there an option to load failsafes? Might want to use that if you can. See what happens. Also, just try letting the BIOS select what setting to use. ie, don't do manual config.

btw, on the links, you need to view the AWARD not the AMI. Unless you are using AMI... ;)

Let me check on a fail safe load. It also currently has PLUG & PLAY set to disabled, this wouldn't be a problem would it? Running Windows XP Pro OS. CPU seems to be getting hotter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom