Advice on buying new monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Advice on buying new monitor

Ok, so I'm looking into purchasing a new computer monitor that can double as a TV for use with various video game consoles. My main concern is picture quality for gaming purposes (PC and console). Ideally, I'd like to get something with a component video input though I think I could get by with a VGA connection. Also, I need something capable of preserving a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm not set on a certain size but I'm thinking something around a 22 inch. My budget is about $350. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Default Re: Advice on buying new monitor

welcome to tech-forums

AMSUNG ToC T220HD Rose Black 22" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers

don't be shy, and say hi @ New Member Introductions - Computer Forums

Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks Fat.Clown. I hadn't really considered the option of going with a TV rather than a computer monitor but now I'm intrigued. I guess the main questions I have are A: Would this give me all the same resolution options as I would have with a traditional computer monitor and B: How would the picture quality compare when it came to reading text/internet browsing?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cltn2080 View Post
I guess the main questions I have are A: Would this give me all the same resolution options as I would have with a traditional computer monitor
I am not quite sure I understand you? is this,
Quote:
You have three choices in setting the picture's aspect ratio: Normal (4:3); Auto Wide (16:9); and Wide (which stretches the image to fit the screen).*1
what you were talking about?
Quote:
B: How would the picture quality compare when it came to reading text/internet browsing?
I would imagine very good
that monitor has max display of 1680x 1050 resolution, on a 22" which I'd consider is a good combo

*1 source: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD - The Laptop Repairs London - Laptop Repair While You Wait
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What I meant by that first question is would I still be able display in any custom resolution I choose or would only the common ones used for TV/Movies/console games such as 1280x720 display correctly since this is primarily intended to be used as a TV rather than a computer monitor? Actually, I'm also not clear if this is specifically designed to be a TV/monitor combo or if it's just a TV that happens to have VGA and DVI outputs. I actually own a 30 inch HDTV which I've attempted to connect to my pc through the VGA and HDMI out but had problems getting it to display correctly (edges of the screen being cut off, general blurriness, etc.) I suppose I'm just wondering if there's any reason this would work better than that.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
I don't overclock

I'd think this would have same resolution options as a regular computer monitor, as it seems to be this model (T220) with added bonus of hdmi and built in tuner. however, I am not sure, as I do not own this specific monitor.

would this work better than your 30" HDTV?
I don't know, most likely won't be as blurry though

Closed Thread