Advice on building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu3kGTVR4

Baseband Member
I'm in the process of selecting parts to build a new computer. I'm sort of new to this so I was wondering if some of you could suggest parts for me to get.

So far I'm pretty much decided on the case... That's about it...

I'd like to get the Antec Sonata, and want to use a 64 bit processor or 2... Looking to spend about $1400 - $1600

What would be the best parts for me to get for that price range?

Thanks in advance

What kind of software are you planning to use? is this system for gaming? lots of data storage? video editing/compiling?

Consider raid in most instances. Always good to have redundancy.

Next you need to consider the time frame. how soon are you buying this? because there will be some huge industry changes within the next year. ( i realize this is always the case, but right now we are on the cusp of a form factor change as well - BTX)

Since you have the money get everything that will support 64 bit OS, cause microsoft should be launching it's new 64 bit version of Windows early next year.

ok, all the advice I got. best of luck Mitsu3kGTVR4

Give me a little bit of time to gather a list. I have REALLY slow internet sevice, so it may take me a while.

Sorry if it took so long.....NetZero is the worst isp. I'll just say that. I'll only be able to list the stuff. Not the prices. Stupid internet won't work right.

Now, I'm not an expert with AMD, but I'm not stupid. I know which CPUs are decent and which ones are lame. I will perform to the best of my ability:

CPU - AMD 64 3400

Mobo - dunno, Abit, Asus, or maybe Gigabyte

RAM - Corsair, Crucial, Kingston 1GB dual channel

Vid. Card - @ least 9800 (ATi) or 6800 (nVidia)

Sound Card - Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS

PSU - Thermaltake 480W (at least)

Hmmmmm.....I think that's the basic parts. If there is anything extra you would like/need, feel free to ask. I'm not sure how much that will all come to either.

gizmo90 said:
i hav DSL
Good to hear!

I agree with Regulus, that seems to cover it all, make sure you get a decent moniter, don't go for the unknown makes.

Thanks again for the help

Blueman - I was thinking the same thing after I posted this... (should I just wait?) Any news on what's coming out?

I definitely want something that's fast and reliable, I use my computer for basically everything so I'm looking for a good all around machine

Most used programs are like: Office, Premiere, 3dsmax, Photoshop, Avid, DVD editing, games like Unreal Tournament, IE, Aim, Winamp, etc.

I want to get a G5 just for video editing and use the windows machine for everything else, but that's later on... Final Cut HD has become very popular in the industry, and my school only uses Macs.

Regulus - the AMD 64 3400 did look like the best deal right now

AMD is a good choice ATM. Scoring much better with games than anything Intel has.

Intel just overcame some issues with thier new MTB's, but I'd wait awhile until all the bugs are worked out.

Don't buy anything that doesn't support PCI express if you have the money.

All i got ATM. The company I work sells cheap crap. :-(

Uh there really aren't many AMD boards that are supporting PCI Express right now either.

So you may want to wait a couple of monthes if you really want PCI Express.

afaik the A64 3400 is only available as socket 754 which is due to become AMD's budget format. If i were you, i'd go for an A64 3500 (skt939) as this will be more upgradable and likely have better functions (ie PCI-E). Then again, as mentioned you will want to wait at least a couple of months for skt939 boards with PCI-E to appear from the major manufacturers, or even for the BTX format, but who knows how far off that is!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom