Adress range: what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendongyde

Beta member
i am currently studing towards a diploma in information comunication technology

in one of my asignments this question has poped up but i dont know if my answer is correct can any body shed some light on this thanks

Explain which of the characteristics of microprocessors the following terms refer to:
- Bit size
- Clock speed
- Instruction queue
- Pipelining
- ALU
- Registers
- Address range
- Onboard cache.

well the three that i have kinda been stumped by are BIT size, address range and instruction queue here are my answers for both please let me know what you think or if im on the right track or if i am way off

Bit size
Note: one bit of “data” represents a 1 or 0 in binary code
Bit size indicates the size of data chunks the microprocessor can manipulate at one time. For example a 32bit microprocessor can manipulate 32 1's, 0's or a combination of 32 - 1's and 0's. This Bit size often indicates the size of the registries.

Address rangeIt is an identifier for the microprocessor, to tell it where to look for data.
Address range is a range of address that tell the microprocessor where to look for the data.

Instruction queue
This is the queue of instructions that are waiting to be processed. They are held in the instruction register.

i have looked in books and on the net and thats what i came up with, i could not find any thing specific

thanks

feal free to email me
brendongyde@hotmail.com

I had a look around the net, and couldn't find anything too specific either! lol, and i'm currently studying towards diploma in ICT as well! i'm not sure that your answer for bit size is correct, OR the address range, tho i reckon you got the right answer for the instruction queue.

i have done a bit more reading but still have not put my finger on it, address range apears to refer to the amount of addresss the cpu can hold but i could be wrong any help any body? the other thing i need to do is compare 3 differnt CPU's does any body know of any good websites i can refer to?

funny enuf i did come across that page but did not spend the time to read it :freak:. now i have it makes sense, only if the rest of this paper was so easy

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom