Adding a Hard Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Adding a Hard Drive

I have a Creative Blaster Board, and I am trying to change the (6 gig) hard drive to a 40 gig- the OS is XP Pro - however when I take out the old drive and put in the new one it won't recognize it, I have Award V4.51pgm Bios, and all the settings, and jumpers are correct, I have checked and re-checked- I know that Creative has issues with adding drives but I can't seem to get it to work - does anyone have any idea or suggestions on how I can do this???

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Adding a Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by thale
I have a Creative Blaster Board, and I am trying to change the (6 gig) hard drive to a 40 gig- the OS is XP Pro - however when I take out the old drive and put in the new one it won't recognize it, I have Award V4.51pgm Bios, and all the settings, and jumpers are correct, I have checked and re-checked- I know that Creative has issues with adding drives but I can't seem to get it to work - does anyone have any idea or suggestions on how I can do this???

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

are you trying to set master and slave? or just flat out replace the old 6G?

edit**
are you going to install XP on the new drive, and try and transfer everything over?

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>
powered by emily .
Old 01-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Changing the Hard Drive completely - and this board just won't recognize any other hdd - I tried WD and Quantum- I don't know I don't get it- I think I am going to copy the 6gig onto the 40gig and then try that but I don't think that will work either Help, Help, Help, Help.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to s0me0ne Send a message via Yahoo to s0me0ne

pull out all the cdroms/harddrives floppy drive. Set the harddrive to master and put it on the primary channel. Set the bios to auto boot and see if it finds it. Then start adding on devices, one by one, slow and steady.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you - I tried removing CDroms but not the floppy, I will try again reomoving all and make sure bios is set to auto, hopefully-

thanks again
Old 01-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

i think the moon's gravitational force has shifted it's pull on the earth ever so slightly enough that all hard drive instalations in the past 24 hours have failed to recognize the HD... how many of these threads are we going to get today? lol...

nothing personal thale, just an observation.

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>