Adding another hard drive-problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra

Baseband Member
when i try to add another hard drive, my computer doesnt start up... it just stays on the intel screen at the beginning(for my board).. i put the master\slave wire that you use to connect the hard drives(cant tell which is which though.. i assumed slave, since the master one is already plugged into my master hard drive which has been there since i bought the computer) and i took the power wire from my cd-rom and put it on the slave drive.. whats the problem? the master hd is 80 gigs, and the slave is 40 gigs... i have a intel D865GBF board. basically what i'm trying to do is just move about 15 gigs worth of data from my old hard drive(from old computer) to the new hard drive(new computer). is there any other way to do this, besides burning all my stuff on like 20 cd-r's? thanks for the help in advance guys :cool:

Make sure you have set the jumpers on your new Slave drive to Slave. Depending on the manufacturer of your HD it might come set up as a single or a Master drive. Refer to your Owners manual for Jumper settings.

Tragic said:
Make sure you have set the jumpers on your new Slave drive to Slave. Depending on the manufacturer of your HD it might come set up as a single or a Master drive. Refer to your Owners manual for Jumper settings.

yeah, i changed the jumper setting to slave(the diagram is stickered on the hard drive itself). still wont work...

ATA 133 is backward compatible with ATA 100 so that shouldn't be the problem.
-Target

have you looked in your motherboard bios as it may be trying to boot off the new (os-less drive)... my friend had this problem even though he had set the slave jumpers on his new drive... also check that your existing hd is set to master as it will work fine as slave if it is the only one... but if you have two slaves and no master you can run into conflicts

-Hygor

you are not supposed to connect that wire to your hard disk except power. it is only for cd/dvd-rom digital audio to the sound card. you are supposed to use a jumper to set CS/master/slave

-edit
oops your right dethangel. it sounded like he was using a wire as a jumper. i accidentally qoute the wrong words. meant to qoute" i put the master\slave wire that you use to connect the hard drives...."

Cobra said:
i took the power wire from my cd-rom and put it on the slave drive.. whats the problem?

i think he means the 4-pin power connector

cobra, have you tired setting them to Cable Select?

if you could post the make and model of the Hard Drives i could prolly tell you how to set the jumpers on both

*cheers*

i got it guys.. i instead just took out the new computers hard drive(western digital) and added it to my old computer(maxtor)and set the jumper to slave of course), and it worked.. the maxtor hard drive was ata133, and i dont know about the western digital one, doesnt say it anywhere on the hard drive... and yes dethangel, you are right- i was talking about the 4-pin power connector. thanks for the help again guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom