Adding a 2nd S-ATA hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwrx

In Runtime
Right now I have what's listed in my sig. My friend bought a 100 gig Seagate Barracuda and it won't work with his mobo (don't know why) so he's giving it to me. Can I just plug it into the #2 S-ATA port on my mobo and it will work, or do I need to do something else? Thanks.

Considering the two HDDs are not identical, you will not be able to use a RAID configuration. But you can use the HDD if you have another native channel available.

First off, I'm assuming the HDD is IDE, since you're not sure and you don't specify. If it IS IDE, then you need an adapter card that'll make it an SATA capable drive (though the speeds will be lower than true SATA).

Also, that Seagate is gonna be dancing on yer Western Digital's grave! Seagates are iron workhorses! They rarely fail. Unless you do something to it, yer likely to have it for years longer than yer WD. I'd consider some day making it yer master and putting the WD in as slave or backup.

They are both S-ATA and my motherboard has 4 sata hd connections on it. I've heard great things about the Barracuda, but when I bought my Raptor I didn't care about anything but speed. Thanks for the info.

ShoobieRat, he clearly stated that the HDDs were SATA. And the Seagate will not be "dancing" all over the Western Digital just because the entire HDD is based on SATA and not just the interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom