Add good RAM to bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunwolf78

Beta member
Dear gurus,

I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop, model 1200 1161-210. It has been experiencing spontaneous crashes/reboots and then often crashes/reboots during subsequent startup attempts, giving a brief message about a physical memory dump. I ran the Microsoft memory diagnostic and it failed every category of test. As I understand it this indicates defective RAM.

The (defective) RAM in my laptop is non-removable (soldered in). It seems like all I could do is to repair it is to buy more RAM and put it in the upgrade slot. But I don't know if this will fix the problem. If I add good RAM, will this eliminate problems caused by the bad RAM that I can't remove? How should I proceed?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

strange thing that RAM is soldered, never heard of this thing before.

adding Good RAM wont do any good, as its like a spoonful of shit can effect pond full of water.

Blind_Arrow said:
strange thing that RAM is soldered, never heard of this thing before.

adding Good RAM wont do any good, as its like a spoonful of shit can effect pond full of water.
The moral of the story is not to soder ram into your laptop cause you can't get it out.

In addition to the other posts, the new RAM might be incompatible with the old one.

But how is your RAM soldered in? I know a person who works in IBM. Maybe I will ask him when he has free time. I have NEVER heard of this before.

What brand is the RAM?

OK, I haven't actually opened up the computer yet. I visited two RAM upgrade sites and input my model number. One of them listed the standard RAM as "non-removable", the other described it as "soldered in". There is compatible RAM offered through these websites, but I didn't want to pay for any new RAM if the bad old RAM would still keep it from working.

Blind_Arrow suggests that adding new RAM won't help. I can imagine why this would be the case - even with new RAM installed, the computer might still try to use the old RAM first and keep tripping over it.

With new RAM installed, would there be any way to de-activate the old ram, or to specify that the computer should use the new RAM instead?

Or... should I give up this laptop for dead?

unless it's a brand new alienware,voodoo or dell,
take a day off from work,
take it out to a field with a base ball bat and gasoline,
smash the crap out then light it on fire and take some ashes home in an urn so you can pray to it for good laptop preformance :p :laughing:
lmao (that is unless you wanna disect it to see how a laptop works and sell the rest of it on ebay :D )

Before you make any harsh judgements, I suggest you check to see if the ram is actually non-removable. About adding new ram, i'm guessing the corrupted RAM would be your primary module, and would be first accessed by your machine...so i don't think it would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom