ACPI HAL? Forcing Hardware to use seperate IRQs. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Question ACPI HAL? Forcing Hardware to use seperate IRQs.

Ok, here is the problem. My computer is set up using ACPI HAL and is allocating everything on my AGP/PCI slots to the same IRQ. I don't want to bother reinstalling windows just to exclude certain hardware from using the same IRQ so was wondering if there is a good workaround for this problem (excluding the use of Regular PC HAL if possible). My motherboard does not have an option to disable ACPI HAL so I cannot do it this way. Here are the specs on my system.

AMD Duron 750
640 MB PC133 SDRAM (1x512MB, 1x128MB)
eVGA GeForce FX 5700LE 256MB DDR
Creative SB Live! 5.1
GA-7ZX Motherboard (BIOS ver - AMI 62710)
Windows XP Professional v5.1.2600 Build 2600

IRQ allocation:

IRQ 0 - system timer
IRQ 1 - Standard 101/102-Key etc...
IRQ 6 - FDC
IRQ 8 - CMOS/RTC
IRQ 9 - ACPI-Compliant System, nVidia GeForce FX 5700LE, VIA Rev 5 or later USB UHCx2, Promise Ultra 133 TX2 IDE Controller, Realtek RTL... Ethernet Card, Creative SB Live!
IRQ 12 - PS/2 Mouse
IRQ 13 - Numeric Data Processor
IRQ 14 - Pri IDE Channel
IRQ 15 - Sec IDE Channel

As you can see, I have open IRQs but the system chooses to share EVERYTHING on one stinking channel. Any help will be great thanks.

Come visit a new technology and digital image arena website where you may compete in monthly image contests and chat about technology. t3ch.l33t is currently searching for members to help manage different areas of the site. t3ch.l33t Image Arena Home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ch_l33tsig.jpg
Old 08-01-2004, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

When Windows 2000/XP has been installed in ACPI mode that is how it assigns its plug and play resources. Usually it's all assigned to IRQ9, sometimes IRQ11. This single IRQ is used as a gateway to 255 virtual IRQs above IRQ15.
To fix this, as far as i know, you need to reinstall. in the setup menu (while set-up is inspecting your comp configuration) press F5 (i think) and you will get a new screen asking for your system type. Just select Standard PC.

Old 08-01-2004, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

That is what I was hoping to avoid lol. BTW, F5 gives you all the HAL options if pressed at the "Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver" screen and pressing F7 will automatically install PC HAL. Surely there is a workaround, I heard that it may be possible to update the ACPI drivers and transform it into PC HAL but not sure as to how exactly and also not sure if it is reversable. Warnings of XP not starting are keeping me from testing that theory lol. If anyone knows please post.
Come visit a new technology and digital image arena website where you may compete in monthly image contests and chat about technology. t3ch.l33t is currently searching for members to help manage different areas of the site. t3ch.l33t Image Arena Home

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ch_l33tsig.jpg
Closed Thread