Acer AL2216WBD -- no HDCP?? help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Acer AL2216WBD -- no HDCP?? help!

Hi! I just ordered the Acer AL2216WBD. I'm reading now that it's been discontinued and the reason is that it doesn't have HDCP. Is this going to stop me from watching movies on my computer or using video inputs for recording live tv? What does this mean for me? Help! Oh, btw, if you're wondering NCIX now has them for $400 canadian which is an AWESOME deal if this lack of HDCP isn't a big deal...

Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

nothing? no one?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

no one gonna help me eh? ouch
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Acer AL2216WBD -- no HDCP?? help!

Quote:
Originally posted by BloodyFinger
Is this going to stop me from watching movies on my computer or using video inputs for recording live tv?
I am not quite sure what u mean by this.

In anycase. HDCP is a form of content protection. It is a very WEAK system mind you - since it was fully cracked by cryptographers (guys with math PhDs, and not these noobs that call themselves "hackers") a few years ago.

Essentially, if you were to connect a display device that does not support HDCP, to source device (DVD player, cable box, PVR, etc.) that does support HDCP, the SOURCE will not transmit anything. The HDCP specification dictates this. So, if the monitor doesn't support it, but the source does, then your monitor will not get any signal.

Some sources do transmit, but downgraded signals (i.e. lower resolutions). And some allow you to disable HDCP on the "source" (e.g. DVD player). Really depends on what device you have. If you elaborate more on your question, I can give you a more detailed answer.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm using it as my computer monitor........ I'm just wondering if this is really going to effect anything I'm doing.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well.. Not for the most part. But, some CPUs actually do start to support HDCP. Which means, that if you are trying to play copyrighted content, the CPU will act as a HDCP source and will expect the monitor to be compliant.

For example, the Intel 945G line of CPUs is believed to have HDCP support I think. I am not sure about other CPUs both in Intel and AMD. But, I would presume that this is going to be a "feature" in the future - if not already.

Closed Thread