Accessing files off a Western Digital MyBook Essential 1b external

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vistaster

Beta member
Hello I am kind of a newbie in need of some instruction.

My computer was failing so I bought a Western Digital MyBook essential 1TB external harddrive.

My computer would only run in SafeMode so I had to do what I could to save my files.
I saved 56GB of files onto the external without setting it up.

I have rebooted my computer COMPLETELY and everything runs perfect, and now I am ready to retrieve my files.
But when I attempt to open the files, it says ACCESS IS DENIED.

I have tried multiple things to take ownership of the files and it says I have the ownership of the file but it won't let me open the file.

Heres what I have done to try and fix this problem.

-Safe Mode administrator account and have taken full ownership of files and folders.
-Safe Mode administrators and have taken full ownership of files and folders.
-Used my administrator accounts and have taken full ownership of files and folders.
-Used PC Inspector file recovery and it copied majority of my files over but text files are in some weird language and the pics still wont open nor will the mp3 files.
-I didn't get to setup the HD too much before I put the files on it.
-Ive tried recovering the files on multiple computers and laptops, same problem.

HELP?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Do you mean access is denied on the external?

Did you format it, at all? I always re-format externals as NTFS, some are FAT32.

Is your account an Administrator account? you might want to go into safe mode and see what you can do.

You also might want to change the USB port you are using.

Do you mean access is denied on the external?

Did you format it, at all? I always re-format externals as NTFS, some are FAT32.

Is your account an Administrator account? you might want to go into safe mode and see what you can do.

You also might want to change the USB port you are using.

Heres what I have done to try and fix this problem.

-Safe Mode administrator account and have taken full ownership of files and folders.
-Safe Mode administrators and have taken full ownership of files and folders.
-Used my administrator accounts and have taken full ownership of files and folders.
-Used PC Inspector file recovery and it copied majority of my files over but text files are in some weird language and the pics still wont open nor will the mp3 files.
-I didn't get to setup the HD too much before I put the files on it.
-Ive tried recovering the files on multiple computers and laptops, same problem.

I am on the admin account, but not in safemode and it isnt the main ADMINISTRATOR.

Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom