about temps & cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2005, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default about temps & cooling

anyone use or recommend a pci fan blower such as this one?

I am thinking about buying one but I've heard someone say that they didn't like them because they sit right next to the fan on your video card, and it puts strain on the GPU fan going down to have another fan blowing back into it. I hope that makes sense.

56 C is my idle temp on my video card, is that high? I'll post temps later tonight after an hour or two of gaming.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

pci blower suck air out of the case, which lowers the ambient temps and doesn't help you that much

get a zalman v-700AlCu instead (or an nvsilencer, but i dont know how good they are)

I don\'t play for fun, I play to win and winning is fun.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

them blowers are a waste of money. they blow air out but if u think hot air rises so this thing at the bottom of ur case is gonna be blowing the cold air out rather than the hot air u want rid off. the wouls be decent if pushed air the other way ie direct onto ur video card but the way they are is just daft. i would recommend the nv silencer. ive got one on my 6600gt and it dropped temps down to 40Cish.
AMD x2 5000+ black edition at 3.3GHZ zalman cnps 9700-NT
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard
3072mb: OCZ ddr800 gold
2x 7800GTX in SLI for 20" viewsonic
OCZ 600watt power supply
www.angelic-accessories.co.uk - plug for my gfs site
Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I put one of those things in my box last year when I was having major heat issues. They're cute aren't they. I can't say it made any difference but for the ten bucks I spent I'd like to think that maybe it's helping a little bit.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Ram
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

As lots say, and right from your site
Cyclone blower: Cools the area around your expansion cards, making your equipment last longer and perform more efficiently. Provides low-noise, high-velocity cooling and fits into any expansion slot.
It probably won't help with temps much, only the surrounding air. It might, however, help keep the dust particles not laying on your equiptment.

Closed Thread