About to switch teams (AMD -> Intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
After reading THIS, it kind of irritated me.. (I'm Short_Cirkit on XS).. I'm planning a new build for this summer and I'm about to scrap it and do an P55 EVGA board and an I5 650.

Here's a copy of what I said..

________________________________________________________________________________
I'm sorry, but I'm just getting annoyed that all AMD does to compete with Intel is just to cram more cores in there, or up the clock speed. Intel has hyper threading, which I think is a very efficient idea. I've been with AMD since I started with this obsessive computer hobby in 2005 and I'm about THIS close to going with Intel if AMD doesn't do something. Granted the "bulldozer" platform is supposed to have some aspect of cross-talk, but we have to wait till 2011 for that.

Sorry for the rant, but if the 975 is just two more cores and no change to the architecture, I really have no interest to try it then.

Welcome to the club! I have actually been on both AMD and Intel systems. Intel was better all around. I used to be impressed by what I got out of gaming, but I don't game anymore.

Be sure to post in the Building, Buying, Upgrading... forum!

I prefer Intel, but my mut of a desktop is AMD. Not because i prefer it, but i've always bought parts for it here and there and i always end up purchasing AMD.

As for computers i've build for people and consulted on, i've always gone with Intel since they introduced their dual cores.

^ How do the i5's fair anyway? Lookin at the 750. I've been on some mid-range Intel rigs and they felt just as fast as my stock clocked Phenom. My buddy had a C2D laptop that was very responsive.

I meant for this to be a general HW topic, but if a mod wants to move it I won't complain.

^ Seriously, what are the benefits of both sides.. All I really know on this now is Bench results and architecture differences. Don't mention price because that is a give in, but what are the main advantages of both sides?

I'm not experienced well enough in that. I think the i7 just has better benchmarks and a higher ceiling than i5.

My hands on experience:
My i7 rig in sig versus a i5 750 w/ 4gb of ram and a 5770.

The i7 with a gtx260 got just a little better fps in games like crysis, borderlands and MW2.

The i7 was a little snapier in overall multitasking performance.

The i5 cost 25% less.

Was the i7 worth the extra cost? In reality no. IMO YES. Because I love power.

I man as far as AMD vs Intel. I am just basing a lot off benchies and core 'cross-talk' and AMD just doesn't offer that yet. And why wait out a CPU (AMD) that may or may not be able to hang with the i7 YEARS after the i series debut.

I'm a harware feind as bad as VeeDubFreak, but I just don't have the funds for a high end Intel rig right now. And being a HW junkie, performance matters the most and as soon as I started learning more about CPUs, I was green with envy regarding intel's bench #'s, and I pretty much have been since then. Especially being a competitive male. :lol:

What's the difference between AMD and Intel. Microseconds :D

Buy the best you can afford. If that means AMD then you probably won't be winning any Benchmark Challenges but for most everything else the difference will be measured in very small moments of time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom