? about running 74gb Raptors in Raid 0 Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrock

In Runtime
Hey all, I got one of my Xmas presents early, 2 74gb Raptors. :cool:
Yesterday I read a review on Anantech, I think, and it ran a few benchmarks of the Raptors in Raid 0. Basically, it said that your computer might "feel" faster, but their benchmarks show that games did not load faster than on a rig using just a single Raptor.
I would appreciate some input from those who have run, or do run Raptors in Raid 0. Is it really worth it? I also have a 80gb ide WD that I will be using as a back-up drive.
If the performance gains are not really noticeable, I guess I will just run them in RAID 1 array. Thx for some input.

Technically, the theory behind the RAID 0 Array is just that, a theory. Basically, the theory is that half the data is stored in one drive, and half in the other, meaning that it should be able to access the data about twice as fast as normal, although this isn't always true.

Speaking from experience, I run two 36GB raptors in a RAID 0, and they are bloody ****ing fast.

Either way you decide about setting them up, they are still 10,000RPM drives, which means they are going to perform at incredible speeds regardless of how they are arrayed.

Thanks guys. I ended up hooking them up in a Raid 0 array. I gotta say its blazing fast. When booting up my pc I see the windows screen and logo for maybe 2 seconds before Windows loads. This is much faster than before. I haven't loaded any games yet, so I will have to see if they load faster also. I have heard lots of people byatching about the sounds from the Raptors, but between the 8 fans in my case, I can barely hear them.
Hey Merlin, how do you like your Chaintech board? I just built my buddy a PC and used that board. I liked it, except for a couple problems with the chingaderra card reader. At first, the remote didnt seem to work well. After spending a bunch of time trying to figure out whats up it just started working and hasnt stopped working since.

Jeffrock said:

Hey Merlin, how do you like your Chaintech board? I just built my buddy a PC and used that board. I liked it, except for a couple problems with the chingaderra card reader. At first, the remote didnt seem to work well. After spending a bunch of time trying to figure out whats up it just started working and hasnt stopped working since.

Yeah, I love my board alot, its just ashame that a few monthes ago it was one of the best P4 boards available and now its basicly obsolete
:p :D

its not a theory its fact. 2 drives are gonna write x amount of information faster than 1 can when they split the work up. thats the whole basis behind raid 0.

jblaze725 said:
its not a theory its fact. 2 drives are gonna write x amount of information faster than 1 can when they split the work up. thats the whole basis behind raid 0.

And its been proven that while it is always faster, the real world difference is hardly noticeable, nor worth the cost when compared to single drive;)

its not a theory its fact.

ok, einstein.

when the drives are set in Raid0, the data needs to first be split into a sertain cluster size, then written to each disk. and vise versa conserning reading/writing operation. this causess overhead witch isnt there as a single drive.

the performance gained or lost is prolly system dependent.

its prolly a lot like the SLI grafix interface. the new Nvidia SLI PCI-E cards work much faster in a pair. but the consept isnt new. the old SLI(from who knows when, i only heard of it) didnt improve performance in pairs. but the new one does, cause of the architecture and interface used, is totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom