? About HDMI Cable - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default ? About HDMI Cable

Just bought a new video card (EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550ti) and plan on hooking it up to my 1080p HDTV to watch my movies that are on my PC. I need a HDMI cord that is at least 8ft. Will a longer cord...like 10ft give a poorer signal compared to like a 4-6ft cord? Is a Monster name brand cable worth paying the extra for? Just not sure what the differences are from a good HDMI cable from a bad. Help would be appreciated!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: ? About HDMI Cable

For 10ft of hdmi, you should be ok depending on what brand you get.
This is one of those hdmi at 10ft, people are somewhat iffy about it, but you should be able to just fine with it.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Usually Monster cables are overpriced, 10ft is fine for a HDMI cable. You should be able to get a cable for $10 or less. Don't let them suck you into buying über gold-plated diamond-core cables, because simply put it's a scam.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

From what I've read there are no "maximum length" standard for HDMI, but research has shown slight problems in cables more than 33-50ft, so 10ft is perfectly fine as the others have said. It would depend on the construction quality of the cable. And speaking of quality, all HDMI cables in my opinion, are the same. Monster ridiculously overprices their cables claiming all this "gold, platinum-plated" nonsense when cheaper cables will do exactly the same thing because all of them are sending the same exact digital signal.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all the replies and info guys. One more question. My video card is not actually a full HDMI slot...it's HDMI mini. Will that still give just as good of a picture and sound quality as a normal HDMI to HDMI would? Does this cord look ok?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Mini HDMI is the new standard for HDMI. You'd be fine.

You can get it cheaper here: For only $3.63 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10ft 30AWG Standard HDMI® Cable - HDMI® Mini Connector to HDMI® Connector - Black | Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cables

I get all my cables from Monoprice.
Neowin.net Steam Account
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Also HDMI is HDMI, in order for a cable to be HDMI certified it has to meet the same requirements any other HDMI cable certified cable. Don't get talked into buying an expensive cable.

I haven't seen any standards on how long the cable can be - i think under 30 you should be fine.

-Vista SME
Closed Thread